This is the first time i am trying this rasavangi and i got the recipe from my mom during my visit to chennai last year. It came out very nice and i am sharing this authentic recipe with you all.
|TOOR DHAL (COOKED)||1 CUP|
|URAD DHAL||1 TBLSP|
|CHANNA DAL||1/2 TBLSP|
|CORIANDER SEEDS(DHANIA)||1 TBLSP|
|COCONUT (GRATED)||2 TBLSP|
|TUMERIC POWDER||A PINCH|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/2 TSP|
- Slit the brinjals lengthwise and soak it in water(to retain the colour)
- Soak the tamarind in warm water for 10 minutes and extract water from that .
- In a kadai, add 1/2 tsp of oil and throw in the urad dhal, coriander seeds,redchilli and channa dal.
- Fry until it turns into a nice golden brown colour.
- Allow it to cool and grind it into a fine paste along with coconut.
- Heat the kadai and add the remaining oil and add the mustard seeds.
- When it splutters add the brinjals to this.
- Saute for a minute and add the tamarind water,sambhar powder,turmeric powder,salt and asafoetida to this.
- Allow this to boil for 7-9 minutes till the brinjal gets cooked.
- When it is done add the cooked toor dhal.
- Now add the ground paste to the rasavangi.
- If the mixture is thick add 1/2 cup of water to that and bring it to a nice boil.
- Add the jaggery to this and switch off the flame.
- Mix nicely and add curry leaves to this.
- Serve hot with rice.