I always make rasam by adding toordal and without garlic. We call it tomato rasam/parupu rasam. My mom makes the garlic rasam when we were running out of cold and cough and during rainy day nights. We all love to have with hot steamed rice and garlic rasam with simple papad only.
Here comes the recipe of GARLIC RASAM. Check out my pineapple rasam recipe too.
Garlic rasam recipe
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 15 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Tamarind a small gooseberry sized
Garlic 4 pods
Pepper 3/4 tsp
Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
Oil 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves few
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida a pinch
Coriander leaves few
Salt as needed
- Coarsely grind the pepper, cumin seeds and curry leaves in the mixer .
- Grind the tomatoes into a fine paste.
- Soak the tamarind in 2 cups of warm water.
- Transfer the coarsely ground pepper mixture and tomato paste to it.
- Add salt, asafoetida,turmeric powder, coriander leaves to it.
- Crush the garlic and ad it to the tamarind mixture.
- Mix everything together nicely with the hands.
- Keep it in a kadai and when it starts frothing switch off the flame and temper with mustard seeds.
- Enjoy with hot steamed rice with Potato Curry.