AUTHENTIC CHETTINAD STYLE.
Kuzhi Paniyaram is a common South Indian Breakfast made usually with leftover idli/dosa batter,and even i have made it several times. But this time i learnt this from my friend ,who gave me exact recipe of making kuzhi paniyaram in their native place. It turned out so well and it was super soft and fluffy. From that i stopped making paniyarams out of left over idli/dosa batter.
Cooking time: 25 minutes. Preparation time : 20 minutes + 10 hours . Serves: 3-4
Here goes the recipe:
|RAW RICE||1 CUP|
|IDLI RICE||1 CUP|
|URAD DHAL||1/2 CUP|
|FENUGREAK SEEDS||1 TSP|
|GREEN CHILLI||2 NO|
|COCONUT (FINELY CHOPPED)||1 TBLSP(OPTIONAL)|
|CHANNA DAL||2 TSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/2 TSP|
- Wash the rice and the urad dal nicely and soak it together along with fenugreek seeds(vendhayam) for 4-5 hours.
- Grind it smoothly in a wet grinder.
- Add salt to the batter and ferment it for 6-7 hours.
- Grind the chillies coarsely and add to the batter.
- Chop the onions finely.
- In a kadai, add oil and add the mustard seeds, channa dal and once the channa dal turns nice golden colour add the onions and fry the onions turns pink.
- Add a pinch of salt to this.
- Add this to the batter and mix well.
- If you are adding coconut bits add at this stage.
- Heat the paniyaram pan an add oil in each holes.
- Pour the batter , i used an icecream scoop to do this.
- Keep in a medium flame.
- Flip this with the help of a fork or the wooden stick which comes with the non stick pan.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney or spicy red chutney.
- The batter should be not too thick or too watery.This has to be slightly thin than idli batter,but little thick than the dosa batter.
- If you want u can add green chillies while grinding the batter itself as we do for vadas.
- The leftover batter can be used for making dosa as it comes very great.
- You can replace green chillies with red chilli powder also.