Uppappam is a deep fried snack and this my mom makes on diwali morning along with breakfast. In my in – laws place nobody knows about this and after 11 years of our marriage this is the first time i made at my home and my hubby and kids liked this very much.
Sometimes my mom makes with left over idli batter and that will absorb a lot of oil.
Here comes the recipe of Uppappam:
|RAW RICE||1 CUP|
|URAD DAL||1/2 CUP|
|GINGER||A SMALL PIECE|
|CUMIN SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|GREEN CHILLI||1 NO|
|OIL||FOR DEEP FRYING|
- Soak rice and urad dal separately for 2 hours .
- Grind the urad dal into a very smooth paste without adding much water(as we do for urad dal vadai)
- Grind the rice and it should be little coarse.(add very little water to this while grinding)
- Mix the ground rice and urad dal nicely with using your hands.
- Coarsely grind the curry leaves , pepper, cuminseeds,ginger and asafatida in a mixie.
- Mix this nicely to the batter.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Add the yogurt to the batter and mix nicely.
- Allow the batter to sit for half an hour.
- Heat the oil in a kadai.
- When it becomes hot, keep the flame in medium.
- With the help of a spoon(i used the ice cream scoop) pour the batter to the oil.
- Cook till it turns golden brown.
- Drain excess oil in a kitchen tissue.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney.
Do not add too much water while grinding and if the batter becomes watery it will absorb more oil.
If the yogurt is sour you can start frying in the oil . No need to ferment.