The very first time I was introduced to pasta by a friend after coming to Singapore 4 years back. When she was talking to me, she was telling that she made pasta for dinner and when i asked about her the recipe she told that she always makes with store bought pasta sauce. So i followed the same way and made for kids and they liked that very much. Now after few years I am so bored with this store bought pasta sauce and wanted to make on my own. The tomato based sauce i learnt from a friend and for the white sauce i followed the recipe from Tarla Dalal.
INGREDIENTS-FOR TOMATO BASED PASTA SAUCE.
|AJWAIN SEEDS(OMAM)||1 TSP|
|RED CHILLI||1 TSP|
|GREEN CHILLI||1 NO|
|TOMATO KETCHUP(OPTIONAL)||1/2 TSP|
|OLIVE OIL||2 TBLSP|
|OREGANO POWDER||1/2 TSP|
- Chop the onions and tomatoes roughly and peel the skin of the garlic.
- In a pan, add a tblsp of oil to this and add the garlic, onion and green chilli to this and saute for few minutes.
- Now add the tomatoes to this and saute nicely in a medium flame till the tomatoes shrink nicely.
- Allow this to cool and grind this into a smooth paste along with ajwain seeds, salt,redchilli powder,sugar and tomato ketchup( i didn’t add as mine got over!)
- When done, again add oil in the pan and add the ground tomato paste to the this and add the oregano powder and saute this in a medium flame for 5 minutes stirring in between.
- Allow this to cool and store it in a airtight container and can be stored in the fridge for a week.
UPDATE: This yielded 1 and 1/4 cup of tomato sauce.
WHITE SAUCE FOR PASTA:
|MAIDA|ALL PURPOSE FLOUR OR CORN FLOUR||2 TSP|
|PEPPER POWDER||1 TSP|
|RED CHILLI FLAKES||1 TSP|
|GRATED CHEESE||1 TBLSP|
- In a pan add the butter and add the finely chopped garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add the plain flour and saute for a very few seconds and add the milk to this.
- Stir well not to form any lumps.
- Keep it in a medium flame and stir well till it thickens.
- Once done add oregano powder, pepper powder and red chilli flakes.
- Switch off the flame and add the add salt.
- Add grated cheese to this. I skipped this part.
UPDATE: This yielded 3/4 cup of white sauce.
Will soon post the recipe of how I used both the sauces in making pasta.