Tiffin sambar I usually make for idli, but never get a chance to click the pictures. When I made idlis for dinner yesterday I thought I will post the recipe for Idli sambar in my space. My mom always makes sambar with toor dal ,while making for rice,but whenever she is making for Ven pongal, Idli or dosa she makes sambar with moong dal. So I am here with the recipe for Hotel Tiffin Sambar
|SHALLOTS| SMALL ONION||10-12 NO|
|TAMARIND EXTRACT(THIN)||1/2 CUP|
|YELLOW MOONG DAL||1/4 CUP|
|SAMBAR POWDER||1 TSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||1/4 TSP|
|CORIANDER SEEDS||1/2 TSP|
|RED CHILLI||2 NO|
|CHANNA DAL||1/4 TSP|
|CUMIN SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|GRATED COCONUT||1 TBLSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|CURRY LEAVES AND CORIANDER LEAVES||FEW|
- Peel the skin of the small onions and chop the tomatoes finely.
- Pressure cook the dal till 3 whistles by adding enough water and a pinch of turmeric powder to it.
- In a pan, add oil and temper with mustard seeds and a red chiili . when it splutters add the onions and saute in a low flame, without getting it burnt
- When it is done add the tomatoes.
- When the tomatoes become mushy add the tamarind extract(soak very little tamarind in hot water and extract juice adding a cup of water to this)
- Add sambar powder, turmeric powder and salt to this.
- Let this boil in a low flame.
- Take another pan and add few drops of oil and throw in the coriander seeds, channa dal, and red chilli.
- Saute till they gives a nice brown colour.
- When it cool,grind this into a very smooth paste along with coconut and cumin seeds.
- Add the cooked moong dal to the boling tamarind extract, along with the ground paste.
- Add enough water as per your desired consistency. I added a cup of water.
- Boil nicely and add chopped coriander leaves and curry leaves.
- Serve hot with vada,idli, dosa or ven pongal.
- Big onions can be replaced instead of shallots.
- Even toor dal can be used instead of moong dal.