Home Breakfast Recipes How to make soft idlis | idli batter recipe

How to make soft idlis | idli batter recipe

by Jeyashris Kitchen
2647 views
HOW TO MAKE SOFT IDLIS

IDLI RECIPE

Idli is an extremely popular breakfast recipe made in almost every South Indian household,  a  soft, fluffy rice cakes made by steaming a fermented rice and lentil batter.. Idli is now recognized worldwide as a healthy and nutritious breakfast option. I have been wanting to post the recipe – how to make soft idlis for a long time now. However, after coming to Singapore I stopped following the traditional method of grinding idli batter as I was not very sure about the quality of urad dal
available here. Back home in India, I would grind a large batch of idli batter every week and we would all savour deliciously spongy idlis. We used to bring back packets of Udad dal from India but they would last me only a few months. I tried adding a handful of poha (puffed rice) along with rice and this gave me soft idlis. But, the idea of grinding udad dal and idli rice separately was slightly time consuming and did not appeal to me. Hence, I started grinding urad dal, idli rice and poha together smoothly. I must say I am extremely satisfied with my method of making idli batter as this never fails to result in super soft idlis. After repeated requests from many of my friends, I am posting the recipe of Idli batter. This method is very convenient for people who like to grind the batter in smaller quantities. Do scroll down to the end of the recipe for the tips to get soft idlis. For bachelors and people who do not have a grinder, I have also posted the recipe of idli/dosa batter in mixie and in case you do not have idli rice, you can check for the recipe of  idli using idli rava

Idli

INGREDIENTS:

IDLI RICE 4 CUPS
URAD DAL 1 CUP
RICE FLAKE |POHA|  AVAL A FISTFUL
WATER AS NEEDED
SALT AS NEEDED

IDLY
METHOD:

• Wash and rice , urad dal and poha several times and soak them in enough water for 4 hours. Even soaking overnight is also ok, but 4 hours is more than enough.

IMG_8630

• After 4 hours drain the water and add the soaked rice, urad dal and poha into the wet grinder. Do not discard the water. You can use it for grinding.

• Grind this into a smooth batter adding water in regular intervals.
  • Adding water is so important as this will help in bringing out soft idlis .
  • It took approximately 2 to 3 cups of water to grind this batter.
  • The entire of process of grinding took 30 minutes.
IMG_8633 IMG_8640
  • The consistency after grinding should not be so thick. Add salt and mix it nicely with your hands or a spatula.
IMG_8646 IMG_8647
  • Keep it in a container and allow it to ferment for 8 to 10 hours.
  • The fermentation time depends on the outside temperature as if it is very hot you get it fermented soon, whereas in rainy season this will take extra 2 hours.
  • My usually says it depends on the body heat of the person who grinds the batter and mix salt using hands.
  • Normally i soak for idli in the evening around 5 0 clock and grind at 9 pm.
  • I allow it to sit overnight and make idlis for next day breakfast.
before fermentation after fermentation
  • Before making the idlis in the morning mix the batter nicely using a ladle.

IMG_8683

• If you are not going to make idlis after fermentation just keep it refrigerated to avoid over fermentation ,resulting in sour idlis.
  • For making idlis, grease the Idli plate  with oil(preferably sesame oil) . Heat the Idli pan with 1 cup of water and allow the water to boil.
  • Pour 3/4 the ladle of idli batter to the idli plates and steam it for 8-9 minutes.
IMG_8684 IMG_8685
  • If you want to check out whether it is done, just wet your finger and insert it in a idli and it is not sticky just switch off the flame and take the idli plate out .
  • After a few seconds dip a spoon in water and carefully take out the idlis and transfer them to the serving plate. Do not take out when the idlis are hot as it will not come out properly.
IMG_8686 IMG_8687
  • These idlis will stay soft for many hours and never get dried. Just cover it properly if you going to eat it later.
  • We had with red chutney, coconut chutney and Sambar.

Idli

• This method is so convenient for working women who wants to spend more time with family and kids as this method will consumes  comparatively less time to grind the batter.

Note:

• Once you have finished grinding take out the batter container out. Never keep it near the hot motor of the grinder as it will not give soft idlis and will change the color of the idlis too.

grinder

• Always grind with enough water . If the batter is thick and after fermentation even if you add water to make it into a right consistency, it will not result in soft idlis.
  • The proper aeration should be there and the batter should be light and fluffy after fermentation.
  • If making dosa just add few tablespoon of water and make crispy dosas.
  • If you stay in a cold place just keep the batter inside a cup board or microwave oven(switched off) to get good fermentation.
  • Always transfer the ground batter to a big container as the quantity will double after fermentation.
  • Instead of poha some people may add cooked rice too, but somehow my mom and mil will not agree to it  as they do not eat left over cooked rice.
  • Do not add more poha as it will result in flat idlis.
  • If you get super good quality of urad dal then skip adding poha and follow the same procedure.
  • Keeping the soaked rice urad dal and poha mix in the refrigerator for an hour before grinding and use the cold water for grinding. this will help to reduce the motor heat.

Hope i have covered all the points but if you have any doubts feel free to ask me.
DISCLAIMER: This recipe is not the traditional method of making idli batter but a short cut and simple method which i adopt to make idli batter.

You may also like

155 comments

divya September 26, 2012 - 12:48 am

Looks awesome & mouthwatering idlis….

Sathya Sankar September 26, 2012 - 12:55 am

I was waiting to see this post jeyashri! Very detailed and wonderful explaination.

Sravs September 26, 2012 - 1:07 am

Nice fluffy and soft Idlis!!

RENU September 26, 2012 - 1:11 am

it looks so nice n fluffy…………nice clicks.

Kaveri Venkatesh September 26, 2012 - 2:48 am

A very useful post with nice tips…The idlis sure look super soft and spongy

Reshmi Mahesh September 26, 2012 - 3:09 am

Lovely fluffy idlis…I too add poha as my husband doesn't like using cooked rice….Nice detailed post and tips…

RAKS KITCHEN September 26, 2012 - 3:16 am

Sounds very simple and should be very useful post for many ,looks tempting with side dishes 🙂

Saraswathi Tharagaram September 26, 2012 - 3:41 am

Nice post!! Love the soft and fluffy idlis..

LG September 26, 2012 - 3:55 am

Nice post Jeyashri. Grinder blendng also makes lots of difference compared to blending the batter in a mixer. Some how my mom also does not agree on grinding cooked rice. Can you parcel me the breakfast plate with idlis as shown in last picture? I am hungry now 😀

APARNARAJESHKUMAR September 26, 2012 - 4:01 am

jeyashri even i wont grind it separately , i usually grind it together 🙂 its super easy you know 🙂 infact i wont use poha still i get some soft idlys 🙂 its all on the urad dal

Priti S September 26, 2012 - 4:03 am

Informative post …that platter with chutney sambar is just so yum ….

Sangeetha Nambi September 26, 2012 - 4:34 am

Real soft… Never tried adding Poha to it…

Chitra September 26, 2012 - 4:52 am

I too make the same way. I add methi seeds instead of poha :)Pretty cliks 🙂

radha September 26, 2012 - 4:58 am

I made it like this sometime ago. It did turn out well. I sometimes use idli rawa too which means only the dal and poha need to be made into a batter. Soft steaming idlis are so tasty!

Premalatha Aravindhan September 26, 2012 - 4:59 am

Nice Post Jeyashri,never tried with Poha…Will try next time:)
Clicks are too gud…

Vimitha Anand September 26, 2012 - 5:28 am

Fluffy and soft looking idlis

anusha praveen September 26, 2012 - 5:39 am

its about time i tried idlies with aval nice post jay

sowmya's creative saga September 26, 2012 - 5:44 am

Even I add poha..it helps..sago also renders idli soft…nice post..

DEESHA September 26, 2012 - 7:43 am

Nice recipe .. The Idlis looks sooper spongy

rahul September 26, 2012 - 10:09 am

Nice thing really impressive thing here I found.
kitchen sinks

Priya September 26, 2012 - 10:21 am

Excellent post,super spongy idlies looks fabulous.

Shama Nagarajan September 26, 2012 - 10:36 am

tempting and delicious…wosh to visit ur space

Ramya September 26, 2012 - 12:33 pm

That is a very helpful post!! I usually soak it separately and grind it:-(
This sounds soo easy and i am sure gone try it..

Sayantani September 26, 2012 - 1:02 pm

love these soft pillowy idlis. never tried making with aval. thats a good tip to note.

Shanthi September 26, 2012 - 1:35 pm

Well explained and nice clicks

Veena Theagarajan September 26, 2012 - 2:29 pm

Super soft idli.. Nice post
Great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

Sushma Madhuchandra September 26, 2012 - 2:54 pm

I want to dig in right now 😀 Very clear instructions Jeyashri.

Hema September 26, 2012 - 5:52 pm

Nice step by step instructions Jeyashri..

Julie September 26, 2012 - 6:20 pm

Lovely post with soft idlis..I usually add cooked rice and get good ones too,will try with poha too:)
Join my ongoing EP events-Oregano OR Paprika @ Foodomania

Vardhini September 27, 2012 - 3:49 am

I have also heard of poha, cooked rice etc. but have never added those to the batter yet. Still sticking with the urad dal and rice in 1:4 combo. Idlis looks spongy.

Vardhini
Event: Peaches + Giveaway

PT September 27, 2012 - 10:18 am

soft and spongy idli..

Supriya September 27, 2012 - 2:06 pm

Thats a detailed note with great clicks. You have a wonderful blog and I know how much patience it takes to put an effort in writing detailed posts. Good Job.

Sharing an award with you. Congrats

Home Made Recipes

RENU October 1, 2012 - 1:48 pm

jeyashree wow it looks so good n tasty.will make it …i have the same grinder..which u have….haaaaaa thanks..adding aval will surely enhance the taste.thanks.

admin October 1, 2012 - 1:51 pm

You will get super soft idlis for sure

ruhi nishat February 3, 2014 - 10:47 pm

Where do we the boiled rice idli rava in singapore… desperately searching for it….. I got the idli rava made from wheat…..it does not give soft idli……

jeyashri suresh February 4, 2014 - 6:25 am

Rice Idli rava we get in mustafa center and most of the grocery stores also. Ask for idli rava. Wheat rava is different.

Shyamala S October 3, 2012 - 6:33 am

The idles were fluffy n my son loved it wid ur instant sambar …

lav November 10, 2012 - 7:59 pm

Hi Jeyshri. Thanks for sharing.. I am preparing idlis for a party. I dont have a hot box at my home. can you tell me how to cover them propoerly for like 2 hrs before serving?

admin November 11, 2012 - 1:57 am

You transfer it to a wide plate and cover it with clean damp cloth. I mean to say cover with a wet cloth( the cloth should be wet not too much with water) Cover it fully so that it won't become dry.

Rajat Nayar April 7, 2013 - 2:04 pm

I am in KL and my idlis have been a disaster.Wanted to check whether the soft aval will do the works…/

admin April 8, 2013 - 4:36 am

yes soft aval will work

Saranya January 18, 2013 - 12:48 am

Tried making idlis with your recipe. It came out super soft 🙂 Thank you. Just one question.. will the idlis become harder if I used batter that was stored for long in fridge? How long can I store the batter in fridge after the fermentation process?

admin January 18, 2013 - 3:21 am

thank u so much for trying out Saranya. Idlis will not harder after storing the batter in the fridge. All u need to do is just take it out from the fridge before 15 mins you start making idlis. If the batter is slightly thick add water to adjust the consistency. normally i store the batter for 4-5 days, but perfect idlis will come for 2 days and rest will be used for making dosa.

SiviKalees October 16, 2013 - 6:02 am

Inspired by your recipies, JayaShree. I do idli batter the same way. I do add two teaspoons of fenugreek seed. Once fermented I used to split the batter into two portions and store them in refrigerator. This way, if the second portion remains unopened, even after 4/5 days idlis are really soft.

SiviKalees October 16, 2013 - 6:05 am

Sathya... January 31, 2013 - 4:00 am

Hi Madam, Recently i viewed your blog, am a newly married girl, tired of traditional type of grinding idli batter, yesterday tried yours, idli came really good, My Hubby appreciated me, thanks for your post, thanks a lot…

admin February 9, 2013 - 11:22 pm

Thats great to know. Thanks for visiting.

zainab February 9, 2013 - 2:04 pm

Cooked rice can also be used instead for poha

admin February 9, 2013 - 11:23 pm

Yes , i have mentioned in the post too

Shrikant February 19, 2013 - 3:34 am

नमस्कार,
In your notes u have mentioned that "If making dosa just add few tablespoon of water and make crispy dosas."Whether it is possible to make crispy dosas with the same ingredients?On your channel there is no separate post for Dosas and hence the question.
श्रीकांत टिल्लू

admin February 19, 2013 - 4:43 am

Hi, You can make dosas out of this batter too. Will update with dosa pictures soon. Even i have a recipe for crispy dosas too(u cannot make idlis with that) , will post that soon

Sowndarya Lakshmi March 16, 2013 - 3:56 am

Hi Jeyashri,

I am new to singapore and even new trying idli batter in grinder. I tried making soft idli s with traditional proportional but i am satisfied with them.May be the quality of rice or urad dhal. I thought export qualities would be the best :). I have a question regarding when to stop grinding and the texture. Should the final texture be as that of rava? Because i have heard my mom and others telling different texture when we grind them seperately. Urad dhal should be smooth n fluffy and rice should be little coarse. Can u please help me on this?

admin March 16, 2013 - 12:10 pm

Hi ,
thanks for the mail. first of all the quality of urad dal is not as good as we get in India, though they say it is Export quality!!. For the initial few years i used to take it in bulk from india and use it up. But later, we get the sree gold and udayam brand urad dal , though they are little expensive than the normal one. If you feel the dal is not good, try adding a handful of poha to it while soaking the urad dal.
Reg the query, if you are grinding urad dal and rice separately as per the traditional method, grind the urad dal into a fine paste. and the rice into a rava consistency. If following my recipe mentioned abouve, grind everything into a fine batter.
Need any help let me know

jahnu March 22, 2013 - 11:48 pm

Hi dear Jeyashri,
very nice and beautiful explanation for the spongy Idli's. Awesome!!! Your presentation of the Idli's with sambar & 2 chutny's are looking so yummy!!!!
Here( US ) we are not getting good Urad Dhal & also Idli rice. Rarely we will get the good quality rice in Indian store. I also used to carry from India, but now coz of Customs.. I am not. I am using 3; 1 and fistful of poha & 1 flat Tbl of methi seeds.getting very soft idli's. I just love your blog. Wishes.

Deepa March 27, 2013 - 5:35 am

Hi Dear Jeyashri,

The ratio of the rice, urad dal and poha really worked very well and resulted in spongy soft idlis..I have a query regarding the fermentation and batter turning sour . All I did is soaked it for 5 hrs and then grinded around evening 7PM. Then stored the whole batter in large Tupperware and left it for fermentation without adding salt. Stored little batter for next day morning breakfast with salt in small Tupperware container. Then morning i kept the large container of batter in refrigerator for using it later in weekdays. small container one idlis were not sour. But after 2 days when i used the large container batter , again i removed the batter added little salt and kept for 5-10 mints before steaming the idlis. For just 2 days the idlis were too sour .. In Bangalore the temp is not that bad as Chennai but still why after 2 days the idlis turned sour .How to avoid the batter turning sour and store the batter for a week . Pls suggest

admin March 27, 2013 - 2:46 pm

Thanks for trying out. I have never faced this problem, but i can suggest you my mom's way of doing. She normally ferments one portion of batter and keep the rest in the fridge.whenever you want to use the next batch ferment it before 8 hours.In this way you never get the idli batter sour after 2 days

Deepa March 28, 2013 - 6:42 am

Thanks for the reply I shall try it out.One more factor is the number of hours batter is left for fermentation also impacts and could lead to turn it sour. It can be more or less around 6-7 hrs and not more than that.

Sowndarya Lakshmi April 8, 2013 - 2:12 am

Hi Jeyashri,

Continuation to post on Mar – 16 – 2013. I could achieve soft idlis and crispy dosa too .Thank u so much for ur recipe. I was almost frustrated after trying different proportions in grinder but only ur recipe came handy to me. Thanks a bunch jeyarshri 🙂

admin April 8, 2013 - 4:34 am

Great to know. Thank u very much

Sowndarya Lakshmi April 8, 2013 - 2:14 am

Hi Jeyarshri

This is continuation to the post on Mar-16-2013.I would achieve soft idli and cripy dosa…. I was almost frustrated and thought i would never be able to make good idli or dosa. At the right time ur recipe came handy. Really superb. Thanks a bunch Jeyarshri. Now we really enjoy r idlis and dosas.. 🙂

Suhasini Deepak April 23, 2013 - 9:28 am

hi like ur idea of incorporating poha to make idlis.I generally add it for making masala dosa

SANGHAMITRA May 18, 2013 - 2:07 am

Hi Jeyashri,

Ur post is illustrative enough…! But I am facing a problem that even after keeping the batter at outside room temp of around 30 deg for 8 hours, it has not risen at all :-(((. Any possible reason for that. I have followed ur instructions perfectly.

admin May 19, 2013 - 11:18 am

Hi,
Even i am surprised why your batter didn't rise even after 8 hours. Generally if the temperature is cold or not enough warm the batter will not rise. Is your batter very hard? This could be one of the reason.

Kumari Anita Dayani May 19, 2013 - 3:38 pm

Hi, your recipe is just too good. But suppose I need to make idlis and do not have any homemade batter, how can I make supersoft idlis from the readymade batter available from Indian shops?

admin May 23, 2013 - 5:09 am

Hi,
If you are making idlis from store bought batter, just add 1/2 tsp of eno fruit salt to the batter just before pouring the batter to idli moulds. you will get soft idlis. Do not store the batter after adding eno salt

Unknown May 25, 2013 - 6:09 am

i've never seen detailed idli recipe like yours. I am going to try them for brazilian friend's baby shower party .

Unknown May 25, 2013 - 6:10 am

thak you for sharing many tips.

Priya R July 14, 2013 - 7:50 pm

Hi Jeyashri akka thank u so much for this recipe, I am a great witness to say that this is one of the best and easiest recipes for dosa batter, love it so much and almost everytime i get perfect idlies 🙂 thanks to you and one winner recipe… I am so happy with this one that I felt I must post on it, so I have posted it in my blog hope you are ok with it..

Love
Priya

Jayanthi Sridhar July 18, 2013 - 8:14 pm

Hi Jeyashri,

Just wanted to check if it's ok to gring the dal and rice together at the same time. I thought both had to be ground to different textures. Your idly looks awesome. If it is so, that would be so convenient to grind both at the same time. I simply love all you recipes

Thanks,

Jayanthi

admin July 22, 2013 - 2:29 am

I have following this way of grinding for the past 5 years and it is working out awesome for me and my idli always turns out fluffy and soft.Go ahead to try out this method.

Shruthi August 6, 2013 - 3:45 pm

Hi,

Very nice soft idlies!! I am also using ultra grinder. But after 25 mts the grinder is getting heated up. So am not getting gud idlies. Is your grinder getting heated up like me?

admin August 7, 2013 - 3:45 am

YEs the grinder do heated up for me, Use ice water to grind the batter.Always take the batter immediately after grinding, from it. If u keep in the same vessel idlis will not cme out good. Transfer to a vessel once done. Use enough water to grind. Should not be thick after grinding

Amruthavarshini August 11, 2013 - 11:08 am

This recipe is a keeper! Thanks much for sharing – exceptionally soft idlis with this 🙂

Prachi K August 26, 2013 - 10:30 am

Hi Jeyashri,

When I made idlis with ur recipe for first time I got awesome idlis. But the next time I added fenugreek while soaking and salt, sugar while fermenting. With this I got horrible idlis. Please tell me if its all bcoz of fenugreek, salt and sugar??? Also tell me if there is any way to repair the batter??

jeyashri suresh August 27, 2013 - 12:51 pm

Just go ahead and make dosas, it will turn out well

rinkal patel August 30, 2013 - 11:51 am

Share red chutney recipe

Mrs Vaidee September 5, 2013 - 10:26 am

Hi Jayeshri,

I m going to try idli for the first time and i dont have a grinder.
Can you tel me any specific procedure to prepare this with mixi ??

jeyashri suresh September 7, 2013 - 1:11 pm

You can try this proportion if using mixie, but grind the rice and dal separately. Soak urad dal and aval together.
Sweetened condensed milk substitute

2.5 cup rice
1/2 cup urad dal
1/4 cup aval | poha (any variety)

Saima Waseem September 12, 2013 - 10:22 am

Hello mam…today i tried to make Idli…but i am not so much happy with the result..the batter which i kept in the night was same quantity as i left in the night. Please suggest me how much water we need to add during grinding and also suggest me the right measurement of rice / dal / Poha / methi etc….for soft and fluffy Idli.

Saima Waseem

jeyashri suresh September 12, 2013 - 2:00 pm

Saima it seems you haven't make it properly according to the instructions. I have clearly mentioned abut the quantity of rice dal and poha in the ingredient list. And more over i don't add methi seeds too. Regarding addition of water you add water to bring the batter to idli batter consistency while grinding itself. Read my notes section , i have mentioned about that.

Vijayalakshmi K September 12, 2013 - 10:46 am

Hi jeyashri..

Today I made idlies with boiled rice (puzhungal arisi). It turned out to be very soft. And can u tell me, did u use raw rice or boiled rice or combination of both. For dosa batter., what should be the proportion.
Thanks

jeyashri suresh September 12, 2013 - 2:02 pm

For idli i use idli arisi which we get in Indian stores for making idli. It is pulzhungal arisi only and not the one which we use for eating.
The same batter will give super crispy dosas too.

Nivedita Akki September 24, 2013 - 4:04 pm

hello,my mouth is watering by seeing these idlis.i have a dout,only in wet grinder the idlis becomes soft ?can we use normal grinder?

jeyashri suresh September 26, 2013 - 12:10 am

Wet grinder and normal grinder same. Are you mean the mixie?

sushma naidu September 28, 2013 - 6:52 am

The red chutni look very tasty could u please let us know the recipe for it as well. Ur step by step instrctions helped me alot thank you

Akshara S October 11, 2013 - 5:13 am

Is it not necessary to soak the dal and rice separately and grind separately? Normally we soak and grind separately and then mix it together.

jeyashri suresh October 23, 2013 - 3:15 am

You try this one. I know traditionally we all soak rice and dal separately and even i was doing this 6 years back. but after i followed this version i never went back to that version.

Akshara S October 11, 2013 - 5:29 am

I soak and grind the dal and rice separately, but this procedure is new to me.

Prachi K October 22, 2013 - 7:18 am

Hi Jeyashri
Is this not the proportion for mixie…Please tell me how to do batter with mixie.

jeyashri suresh October 23, 2013 - 3:17 am

Procedure in mixie is different prachi. FOr mixie please follow this proprtion
2.5 cup rice
1/2 cup urad dal
1/4 cup aval | poha (any variety)

Prachi K October 23, 2013 - 6:49 am

Thanks so much…

Neha Moroney November 13, 2013 - 12:42 am

Thank you ! will try soon 🙂
I am living in SG too :)) I have some query .
How to check the quality of urad daal? How about the one we get @ mustafa?

jeyashri suresh November 13, 2013 - 2:56 pm

thanks for the comment,Generallyi go with brands only. Mustafa dal is ok. But i buy from the grocery shop opp to it. Sree gold and udayam brand are best quality for urad dal and also for all types of dal too

Unknown November 18, 2013 - 6:18 am

jeyashri,thanks for this post.I have the same grinder as yours.how to check if the motor is heated up?recently iam not getting good fluffy idlis.dont know why

jeyashri suresh November 18, 2013 - 2:19 pm

If you touch the Motor part if it is very hot then it means it is heatedup

Akshara S November 20, 2013 - 3:22 pm

As mentioned in yr post, recently we got the opportunity to visit Madurai and we had idlis from Murugan idli kadai,Madurai. The idlis really tasted heavenly with 5 different chutneys,

Sudha Nair November 28, 2013 - 1:11 am

Hi Jeyashri…thanks for your post. Your idlis look great! Just had one query. What urad dal do you use…the whole one or the split urad dal. I have whole urad dal and will be using the mixie. Kindly advise. Thanks.

jeyashri suresh November 29, 2013 - 2:47 am

I use the whole urad dal sudha. For idli | dosa generally whole urad dal is recommended

Sudha Nair November 29, 2013 - 4:38 am

Thanks for the response Jeyashri!

Manchantti December 23, 2013 - 6:59 pm

Hi Jeyashri….i was following the traditional method of grinding dal and rice separtely. I am going to try this and will let you know the results. Thanks for the info. Following you.

Kamala Raghavendra January 7, 2014 - 12:15 am

Hi, I do not have grinder but you blender to grind the idly batter. I generally put 3:1 with 1 tsp methi. I heard for grinder 4:1 and mixie 3:1 will work out. Can I use 4:1 with 1 fist poha in mixie? Kindly suggest.

jeyashri suresh January 7, 2014 - 6:46 am

Hi kamala,
For mixie you follow the same proportion as u were following. This proportion of 4:1 , i don't think will not work out for a mixie.

Jen January 14, 2014 - 7:27 am

Hiya Jeyashri, thank you for posting such a beautiful recpie. I would love to make it – dont have idli rice.. Can I use basmati rice or jasmine rice as that is what is available here in Australia. Thanks Jen

jeyashri suresh January 14, 2014 - 7:43 am

Thanks for the message Jen. I am not sure how the result will be using jasmine rice or basmathi rice. I don't think it will turn out good

seema February 17, 2014 - 2:20 pm

Dear jayashree
Thanks for the easy recipe. My idlis turned out great initially. Now they are soft but flat. How do I know the quality of urad dal . Does the batter have to be thick.

jeyashri suresh February 18, 2014 - 9:25 am

Seema, the idlis become flat because , either u must have added more urad dal or the dal must be too good. some times it happens. but so far i never know how to check the quality by seeing except by asking the shop keeper.
The batter should be not too thick. after fermentation do not add water. while grinding itself add water.

whitefieldbb@gmail.com February 21, 2014 - 8:47 pm

Jeyshri:

thanks for the tip re. poha. Will try it out.
I cook a little rice, then grind and add to soften idlis…I only mention this for your Mom and Mil's sake…it is not leftover…it is fresh rice. We eat basmathi but for cooking and grinding for idli batter I make ordinary rice.
I'm going to try out your godhuma dosa tonight.

jeyashri suresh February 24, 2014 - 10:16 am

Thanks for the message. It is not the leftover rice but even freshly made rice if mixed with a tiffin item like idli, will not be considered as tiffin. Anything cooked will not be added even though it is fresh.

Bhavana Sridhar March 1, 2014 - 11:35 am

hi jeyashri,
i stay in Bahrain and i get only half urad dal not whole sized one. i dont have a grinder need t grind in mixie. my 17 month old son eats only idly and dosa. cud u pls give me the measurement.- Mrs.Bhavna Sridhar

jeyashri suresh March 5, 2014 - 10:58 am

Hi Bhavana,
Thanks for the message. I have never tried with split urad dal. But you try this method. 2.5 cup rice
1/2 cup urad dal
1/4 cup aval | poha (any variety)
Hope this will work out well for you

Usha V September 15, 2014 - 1:01 pm

Hi Bhavana
In Bahrain, we get whole urad dal (white without skin) known as 'GOTA URAD' at:
1) all Mega Mart & Babasons stores
2) Joofris near Temple in Manama

jeyashri suresh September 16, 2014 - 5:21 am

Thanks Usha

Alka Awasthi March 7, 2014 - 3:56 pm

Hey Jeyashri,
Thank u for recipe. I wanna know abt whats idli rice ?? i dont get any at my place…can i use normal rice or india gate's ?

jeyashri suresh March 10, 2014 - 2:14 am

Idli rice you get in Indian stores, Basmati rice will not work good.

Veda Vali March 13, 2014 - 11:57 am

Hello jeya madam
excellent recipes. you described in detail for freshers like me. from tomo i am going to try each recipe of yours. if you can pls include more recipes in no onion and no garlic recipes section. i am brahmin. so it helps me a lot. thank you.

Shirley May 5, 2014 - 2:57 pm

Wow , looks delish .As much as i would like to try your recipe , i wouldnt be able to ,due to unavailability of the idli rice and whole urad dal where i reside .we only get sona masoori rice along with basmati and jasmine .we also get idli rava .though i use that to make idlis .

Aastha Jhurani May 7, 2014 - 2:30 pm

Hi looks delish i have a project and I need a list of ingridients of idly and sambar can u help me out??

jeyashri suresh May 7, 2014 - 2:44 pm

Hi aastha,
You can note down the ingredients of idli from this post. For sambar recipe you check out my tiffin sambar recipe.- http://www.jeyashriskitchen.com/2011/12/tiffin-sambar-recipe-side-dish-for-idli.html
Copy this url and you can find the details there. Thanks

Aastha Jhurani May 7, 2014 - 2:32 pm

Hi I am aastha I am having a school project and I need the list of ingridients of sambar.It would be delightful if you would help?:)
~aastha

Sabeena Begum August 4, 2014 - 3:49 pm

Hi Jeyashri

How many idlis will this proportion make?

jeyashri suresh August 7, 2014 - 2:51 pm

Depends on the size sabeena. Around 25 to 30 if big

Sabeena Begum August 7, 2014 - 5:36 pm

If I am using a mixie, should I grind separately ? What proportions, till what consistency and can I use that batter for dosa? Please guide.

Sabeena Begum August 8, 2014 - 7:17 am

Thanks for the response Jeyashri. I dont have a wet grinder, can I use a mixie to grind the batter?
How much proportions and what consistency of batter should be achieved? Can I use that batter to make Dosas? Also, dont you use soda in the batter?

jeyashri suresh August 11, 2014 - 7:52 am

For using mixie consistency is the same. But mixie gets ehated up soon. so use cold water to grind. Do not make in bulk if using mixie. Proportion is same, just add extra 2 tblsp of urad dal and 2 tblsp of poha. You can use the batter for dosa. I never use any soda

Nalini Shantaram September 26, 2014 - 12:07 pm

Accidentally came across your blog and lucky am I. Never came across such a detailed and step by step account of making soft idlis. Going through your details, even a novice will fall into love with cooking. Feeling elated. Thank you Jeyashri

rishaba naveen October 19, 2014 - 3:32 pm

Hi Jeyashri
Kindly tell me the proportion of urad dal and poha for 2 cups of idly rice

jeyashri suresh October 20, 2014 - 5:25 am

Just half the recipe. 1/2 cup urad dal and little poha

susan jeyaraj October 23, 2014 - 9:42 am

Very nicely written. Will the same method work for me as i grind my batter in a mixie???

jeyashri suresh October 27, 2014 - 12:56 pm

Thanks susan. For grinding in mixie i will soon write the recipe

jeyashri suresh January 4, 2016 - 3:03 pm

I have posted the recipe of idli dosa batter in mixie. Please check for the link in this post itself.

sana afreen February 1, 2015 - 10:02 am

Poha is compulsory

Shobana Kalyan March 13, 2015 - 4:57 am

We enjoyed soft idlis with your simple recipe. Thanks a lot.

ayushi March 14, 2015 - 7:22 pm

jeyashri mam, thanku soo much for this super informative guidance. I tried idlis many times but they were all so bad before. BUT AFTER TRYING UR FERMENTATION TECHNIQUE I MADE IDLIS ON MY MOTHER'S BIRTHDAY AND THE IDLIS WERE SOOO FLUFFY AND TASTY THAT MY WHOLE FAMILY ENJOYED IT AND I M SOO SOO HAPPY..
thanku again. GOD BLESS U..

alagu sundari Solaiyappan April 6, 2015 - 5:27 am

I TRIED THIS METHOD I GOT SOFT IDLIS I WANT TO GRIND 8 CUPS OF RICE MEANS WHAT IS THE QUANTITY OF URAD DAL AND POHA

jeyashri suresh April 10, 2015 - 1:06 am

Thanks for trying out. For 8 cups of rice you need to put 2 cups of urad dal and 2 fistful of poha.

preetha sankar August 10, 2015 - 11:43 am

Hi Jayashree,
It becomes very difficult to to put the grinder every now and then. Is there any method like grinding the urad dal flour separately n rice flour separately n when needed mixing these 2 flours with water n salt. I have heard in tv shows in some part of India they do like this. But im not sure of the method n ratios. S there any method available like that. It will be v useful to me if u share the method

jeyashri suresh August 11, 2015 - 3:20 am

Preetha, though i have heard about this never attempted at home. Will try soon and let u know

MuthuKumaran Tamilselvan December 15, 2015 - 4:18 am

Tried it. Idlis were soft ad yummy. Thanks a lot for the recipe. If I want to use basmati brown rice, what would be the ratio?? Thanks

jeyashri suresh December 20, 2015 - 3:05 pm

Thanks for trying out. I havent tried with brown basmati rice, but i am sure same proportion will work out. because i have tried for dosa

Mathangi Siddharth January 4, 2016 - 4:55 am

Hi. I soaked urad dal and rice seperately in the usual way but while grinding I grinded rice first and midway added urad dal as my prop was only 2:1/2 but it took lot of time for the urad dal to get grinded fully

Could this be because of addind urad dal inbetween?

jeyashri suresh January 4, 2016 - 3:05 pm

I haven't tried this method, but i can say the urad dal must not have soaked properly. Also the rice. That's why it took long time to grind. Just follow this method of soaking together and grind. You will get perfect idlis.

. June 28, 2016 - 11:04 pm

All of you ladies who posted such great tips with elaborate description should get doctorates. You are doing a great service posting these recipes, I find making idlis is tougher than making bombs.

Madiha Khan July 27, 2016 - 7:28 am

awesome

Unknown August 3, 2016 - 7:32 am

Hi awesome recipes…good work…a question..what about adding vendhayam to the batter..my mom does..even i do additionally with poha…

jeyashri suresh August 3, 2016 - 10:25 am

My mom too add, but i don't add. But if you want you can add 1/2 tsp – 1 tsp. But reduce the poha little bit as idlis will becomes too soft or flat.

uj August 19, 2016 - 10:18 pm

Hi jeyashri, A question regarding store bought batter

I have store bought batter for idlis and dosas, can you please tell me do I have to add water before pouring into idli pans? Or dosas
Thanks
Ujwala

jeyashri suresh August 24, 2016 - 9:41 am

I don't know about the consistency of store bought batter. For dosa batter le this be slightly thin than idli batter

KalpanaPanwar October 27, 2016 - 12:40 pm

Hi Jeyashri ! I tried It many times but can not make it perfectly every time I see outer layer of idli is watery.So please tell me exact time for put it idli cooker on gas
Website : https://www.Recipentrest.com

jeyashri suresh October 30, 2016 - 11:48 pm

You must have used more water in the cooker bottom. This will make the water gets splashed on the idli while cooking and thus making it watery.

Sushma Jayaram December 28, 2017 - 11:44 am

My mother makes those really soft Idlis. I have always fail to attain such soft idlis. Whenever I feel like having Idlis I use the ID Fresh Batter to make Idlis. The Idlis are so soft and yummy.

Sudha January 4, 2018 - 9:24 pm

Hi Jeyasri. Wonderful tips. I had a question. Do you recommend grinding rice and urad separately. If not why? Which one would result in softer idlis? Thank you for posting a receipe with tips. Will for sure try this method. I shall also wait for your reply. Good day!

Jeyashris Kitchen January 5, 2018 - 7:07 am

Thank you so much. I follow this method for softer idlis for almost 10 years. My mom used to grind rice and dal separately and she gets fluffiest idlis too. If you are grinding in bulk use separate method. Since we are 4 people at home,i prefer this method. End result is the same.