Thiruvadirai is favored for Lord Shiva, on the day of Thiruvadirai star in Marghazhi (November-December)and is a festival of great importance. The sweet dish offering on this day, Thiruvadirai kali, and today i am sharing the recipe of Thiruvadirai Kali recipe.
When I called up mom yesterday for the recipe, she told me the entire procedure and I remember her making in a heavy bottomed Brass vessel called “URULI”. Since I don’t have this here I made in pressure cooker like we make Arisi Upma.
|RAW RICE||1/2 CUP|
|MOONG DAL||2 TBLSP|
|CARDAMOM POWDER||A PINCH|
|COCONUT (GRATED)||2 TBLSP|
- In a pan dry roast the raw rice till it becomes reddish brown. Be careful not to get it burnt. Allow it to cool.
- Soak the moong dal for 10 minutes in water and cook this in open flame for 10 minutes or till the dal turns soft and not mushy.
- Drain the water.
- In a Pressure cooker add the jaggery and pour a 1/2 cup of water to this.
- When the jaggery melts filter the impurity and boil the jaggery water for few minutes. Add 3 cups of water to this .
- Add the coconut and cardamom powder to this.
- Grind the roasted rice in a mixer into a rava consistency. Don’t grind it too much into a powder. It should be of semolina(rava) consistency.
- Add this to the boiling jaggery water and add the cooked moong dal.
- Add ghee.
- Mix well and pressure cook till 2-3 whistles.
- Thiruvadirai Kali is ready for neivedhyam.
- It took 4 cups of water for me to cook . The measurement depends upon the nature of rice. If the rice is too old it needs lot of water. If it is new rice, 2-3 cups is enough.
- You can cook this in open flame as we do for rava upma. Since My mom gave me an easy option I have done this in pressure cooker.
- Instead of cooking the moong dal separately it can be roasted along with rice and can be ground along with it.