I always love this vadas and i still remember when I was in my college , in one of my friend’s place her mom used to make this and we all will feast on the beetroot vadais.Normally these will be made in bite size tiny roundels.
INGREDIENTS:( MAKES 20- 25 MINI VADAS)
|CHANNA DAL||1/2 CUP|
|TOOR DAL||1/2 CUP|
|FENNEL SEEDS(SOMBU)||1/2 TSP|
|RED CHILLI||4-5 NO|
|FINELY GRATED BEETROOT||1 CUP|
|FINELY CHOPPED ONION||2 NO.|
|OIL||FOR DEEP FRYING.|
- Soak both the dals for 2 hours along with red chili.
- Grind along with fennel seeds(sombu), curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Do not add water while grinding the dals. Just sprinkle a tsp of water if you need.
- Grind this into a coarse paste in small batches.
- Mix nicely for even mixing of spices.
- Add the grated beetroot, chopped onions and salt just before making vadais.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Flatten a small portion of the vada batter and carefully drop it in oil.
- Always fry keeping the flame in medium.
- Repeat this for rest of the batter. Take out them when the oil sound subsides.
- Drain in a kitchen towel .
- Enjoy hot vadais with a cup of coffee or tea.
- Few tblsp of grated coconut can be added while grinding the dal.
- Always grind the dal in small batches and you can replace beetroot with vazhaipoo also.