As promised in my previous post of Vegetable stock I am posting the recipe of how to make Mexican Rice which i wanted to try for a long time after tasting this in a Vegetarian restaurant and the recipe i tried from here.
It turned out very well and my hubby who always loves fusion cooking and loves to try new dishes liked this Mexican rice a lot.
|BASMATI RICE |LONG GRAIN RICE||1 AND 1/2 CUP|
|VEGETABLE BROTH | STOCK||3 CUPS|
|RED KIDNEY BEANS(Cooked)||1/2 CUP|
|PEPPER POWDER||1/2 TSP|
- Wash the rice and drain the water.
- Slice the onions and chop the capsicum .
- Peel the skin of the garlic and finely chop them.
- Puree the tomato in a mixer.
- Soak the red kidney beans overnight and pressure cook this till it becomes soft.
- Drain the water and keep it aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add oil and throw in the chopped garlic.
- Then add the sliced onions and saute till it becomes soft and turns pink.
- Now add the chopped capsicum( i used the red color one).
- Saute well. Add salt.
- Now add the rice and saute well till it turns slightly golden brown.Be careful not to burn it. This is more important as it will give a nice texture to the rice when it is cooked.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and mix well.
- Add the cooked red kidney beans and throw in the pepper powder and oregano.
- Add 3 cups of vegetable broth to this. Check for salt.
- Allow the mixture to come to a boil. Turn the flame down to a simmer, cover the pan and cook for 20 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with fork. Do not mash it.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Mine got over so i didn’t use .
- You can use canned red kidney beans also. In that case drain the water and wash it thoroughly and use.
- Tomato can be replaced with tomato puree also. In that case use 1/2 cup of puree.