Ulundu vadai or medhu vadai i wanted to post for a long time, but somehow whenever i make vadais that will be during pooja time or many times i make when i have guests. As my mom is with for here for a week i have a good reason to make ulundu vadais and she patiently waited and had the vadais after i finished clicking the pictures.We enjoyed vadais with hot filter coffee enjoying the rainy weather.
This time my vadais doesn’t came out so fluffy as the quality of urad dal was not very good. Always use good quality of urad dal.
INGREDIENTS( YIELDS 20- 25 VADAIS)
|WHOLE URAD DAL||1 AND 1/4 CUP|
|GREEN CHILLI||3-4 NO|
|GINGER||A SMALL PIECE(OPTIONAL)|
|WATER(TO GRIND)||APPROX 1/4 CUP|
- Soak the urad dal for an hour . I usually add the green chillis while soaking.
- Drain the water completely.
- Grind the urad dal along with green chillies , asafoetida,curry leaves, ginger(if adding) and coriander leaves.
- Normally wet grinder is most preferred for making ulundu vadai.
- While grinding the vadais do not add too much of water as we normally add while grinding idli dosa batter.
- Just sprinkle water. Else the vadas will drink too much of oil.
- I just added extra curry leaves.
- Peel of the skin of the shallots and finely chop them.
- Pulse the onions in the mixer and add this to the grind urad dal.
- Normally my mom uses banana leaf for making the round shapes.
- Here i used a zip lock cover.
- Just before making the vadas add salt to the batter, never add while grinding else the batter will become watery.
- While making vadais keep a cup of water in a wide vessel .
- Just wet your hands (before making each vadais) and take a medium ball sized batter in your hand and place it in the zip lock cover.
- Just pat the batter slightly and make a hole in the center.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- The oil should be very hot.
- Just carefully place the vadais in the batter and keep the flame in medium.
- Flip it over after 2 minutes and fry till golden brown.
- If the oil is not hot the vadais will drink more oil and if it is very hot the inside portion will not get cooked.
- Drain it in a kitchen towel.
- Repeat the same process for rest of the batter.
- Enjoy hot , crispy vadais with coconut chutney and Sambar.
- If using mixie for grinding the urad dal use the pulse option .
- For more quantity always use grinder else the heat generated while grinding in the mixie will not make the vadis fluffy.
- Always grind the batter smoothly into a fine paste, else the vadais will become hard and rubbery.
- Do not soak urad dal for more than 2 hours , else the vadais will drink too much of water.
- If by any chance the batter turns watery just add a tblsp of rice flour.
- My mom usually add a tblsp of rice while soaking the urad dal. This will give more crispy vadais.
- Just skip the onions if you are making for poojas