When Varsha told me to bake some cookies for Teacher’s day celebration at her school, I was searching for some eggless cookies and my google search ends when i saw these eggless Vanilla custard powder cookies in Sowmya's blog. I like her baking recipes a lot. I loved the recipe as it is doesn’t have butter too. For me taking out the butter before hand and handling them in the measuring cup is a lazy job!!. This recipe has used oil and they turned out totally awesome. No where i could find the oil taste in the cookie.
The place where I did the mistake was i over baked the first batch , though she mentioned in the recipe not to do that, and i got many of them burnt. But the second batch i took out in the right time and they really melted in the mouth.Click here for the original recipe. She used whole wheat flour too but i used only All purpose flour.
INGREDIENTS:(YIELDS 40- 45 COOKIES)
|MAIDA | ALL PURPOSE FLOUR||2 CUPS|
|CUSTARD POWDER||1/2 CUP|
|BAKING POWDER||3/4 TSP|
|BAKING SODA||1/2 TSP|
|VANILLA ESSENCE||1 TSP|
- Combine the flour, custard powder(i used Vanilla flavor) baking soda and baking powder.
- If you want for even mixing just sieve them together.
- Combine the sugar and oil and mix this till the sugar gets dissolved.
- I wanted to make it easy and put them both in a mixer and whipped for a minute.
- Slowly add this to the dry ingredients(flour mixture) and combine well.
- Make it into a smooth dough.
- Pinch small portion of your dough. Make it into a smooth ball and flatten it. I just made lines with fork which is just optional.
- Line the baking tray with Parchment paper(butter paper)
- Place the cookies slightly away from each other. Mine slightly expanded while baking. Bake it for 10 minutes at 170 degree C.
- Take out from the oven and cool them in a wire rack.
- These are the first batch of my cookies which are slightly over baked.
- The cookies were soft when u take out from the oven. Once completely cooled they will become firm and crispy.
- Though these cookies were made with oil, they just melted in the mouth.
- Never over bake the cookies. Take out them when they are soft.
- If the dough is stiff while kneading add a tblsp of cold milk or water to make it a smooth dough.
- Chocolate chips or tutti fruity can be garnished on the top before baking the cookies.
- I used Vanilla custard powder, and i love to try this again with butter scotch flavor too.