RASAM WITHOUT TAMARIND
INGREDIENTS [SERVES 4-5]
|TOOR DAL(COOKED)||2 TBLSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|TURMERIC POWER||A PINCH|
|TOOR DAL||1 TBLSP|
|WHOLE BLACK PEPPER||1 TSP|
|CUMIN SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
Video on how to make Kalyana rasam
- Grind the tomatoes into a puree and reserve 1/4 portion of the tomatoes before grinding.
- Chop the 1/4 th tomatoes finely and keep them aside.
- Roast the ingredients under the “TO ROAST AND GRIND” table with 1/4 tsp of ghee.
- Add cumin in the last and switch off the flame.
- Allow it to cool and grind it into a fine paste by adding little water.
- Add this paste to the tomato puree and transfer everything to the vessel in which you are going to make rasam. Add turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt to this.
- Allow this to boil in a low flame for 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the toordal and add 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups of water to the dal and add this to the boiling tomato mixture.
- When it comes to a froth switch off the flame and garnish with curry leaves and coriander leaves.
- When it is hot add the reserved ,chopped tomatoes to this and temper with mustard seeds and little curry leaves.
- The tomatoes will get cooked in the hot rasam and will give a very good aromatic flavor.
- You can add 1 tblsp of coconut while grinding .
- While roasting the masala add the cumin seed in the last else it will give a bitter taste.