Vella puttu we generally make during navaratri fridays, but i remember my grandmother makes this vella puttu when the girl kid at homes attains puberty or the coconut tree starts giving flowers. This puttu can be done with rice flour| idiyappam flour too. Try out this easy Navaratri recipe .
INGREDIENTS : SERVES 2
|RAW RICE||1/4 CUP|
|CARDAMOM POWDER||A PINCH|
|YELLOW FOOD COLOR or TURMERIC POWDER||A PINCH|
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes. Later drain the water and spread this in a towel. I spread in a thick kitchen towel, for 15 minutes.
- The cloth will absorb all the water and the rice will be dry.
- Grind this into a fine powder in mixer.
- Sieve it nicely and grind it again.
- Dry roast this rice flour in low flame till it changes into light brown colour.
- When cool, sprinkle some water to the rice flour.the consistency should be if you hold it tightly it should hold, and if you break it it should break like a sand.
- Steam this rice flour mix by tying it in a cloth for 10 to 12 minutes.
- With a back of a ladle break the lumps and make it into very smooth and soft.
- My mom gave a short cut for this, asked me to grind the steamed flour in a dry mixer. I did the same and it was perfect.
- Heat jaggery in a pan by adding 1/4 cup of water.
- Let this boil in a medium flame. Add cardamon powder.
- Take a little water in a small bowl. This is to check the consistency of the jaggery.
- Just add a few drops of nicely boiling jaggery into the water.
- If you could able to make it a hard ball,then switch off the stove.
- Otherwise allow it to boil till u reach the consistency.
- Transfer the steamed rice flour to a wide bowl. Add the jaggery syrup to this and mix well nicely with the back of a ladle. Fry cashew in ghee till golden brown and add it to the vella puttu and mix well.
- Vella puttu is ready for neivedhyam.