Pumpkin thogayal| Parangikkai thogaiyal is a simple recipe which we generally mix with hot rice smeared with ghee. I love all types of Thogayal we make at home,this pumpkin Thogayal i learnt from my athai and my cousins will have this thogayal as a spread on the bread too. Even you can have this with Chapathi, idli or dosa too.
|PUMPKIN | PARANGIKKAI(CUBED)||3/4 CUP|
|URAD DAL||2 TBLSP|
|TAMARIND||A SMALL PIECE|
|COCONUT(SCRAPPED)||1-2 TBLSP (OPTIONAL)|
- Take out the hard skin of the pumpkin and chop them into small cubes.
- In a pan add oil and saute the urad dal, red chilli and tamarind, till the dal turns golden brown.
- Keep it aside and saute the cubed pumpkin and saute in a low flame for 10 minutes till the pumpkin shrinks.
- When done, allow this to cool and grind it to a smooth paste along with roasted urad dal, red chilli, salt, asafoetida, tamarind and coconut.
- Do no add water while grinding. The pumpkin will ooze out water.
- If needed sprinkle little water.
- Pumpkin thogayal is ready to serve. You can keep it the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Always handle with a clean spoon.