- In a pan add 1/4 cup of milk and 1 cup of water. Add the flour and a pinch of salt. If using idiyappam flour do not add salt. Add few drops of ghee to this.
- Cook in a low flame till it comes to a mass and the water evaporates.
- When the mixture is warm and can handle with your hands, knead this into a smooth dough. You can grease your hands with sesame oil before kneading.
- Cover this dough with a clean damp cloth. Before making the kozhukattai, make the dough into small round balls as we do for the ammini kozhukattai.
- In a pan add 1 cup water and 1/2 cup of thin coconut milk (second milk)
- When it about to boil, add the rolled balls to this and keep the flame to low.
- Let this cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the sugar . Mix well and add 1/2 cup thick coconut milk (first paal) . Immediately switch off the flame. Add cardamom powder and mix well.
- This will thicken after sometime , so do not worry if it is slightly watery. This tastes even more better when served chill.
- Do not boil after adding the thick coconut milk. It will get curdled.
- If using store bought coconut milk or coconut powder, for the thin milk dilute 2 tblsp of coconut powder or mixture with 1/2 cup of water.
- For thick milk add 1/2 cup water to 5 tblsp of powder.
- Adjust the sugar according to your taste.