- Bring the khoya to room temperature. I used the Nanak Brand Khoya .
- Take half of it and crumble it with your hand and measure 1 and 1/2 cup. Keep it aside.
- Pound the pistachios in a mortar and pestle coarsely. You can chop them into fine pieces too.
- In a pan add ghee and start roasting the khoya in a low flame till it becomes golden brown. It will be slightly grainly or crumbled texture after it is getting roasted. Roasting will took approximately 15 minutes.
- Combine sugar with 3 tblsp of water and let it boil for 4 to 5 minutes. No need to get string consistency. Add the sugar syrup to the roasted khoya.
- Cook in a medium flame till the mixture leaves the side of the pan. It will take 3-4 minutes only.
- Transfer this mixture to a greased plate and sprinkle the copped pistas on this. Pat gently with the back of a spoon.
- When it is warm cut them into desired shapes.
- The burfis will be bit chewy when u taste it immediately. After refrigeration of 2 hours, they become firm and it stayed well for a week in the refrigerator.
- Even while transferring the khoya sugar mixture to the greased plate you feel like it is not like a whole mass. Do not worry, it will be perfect when cooled.
- I used unsweetened Khoya, which i got from Mustafa center.
- Pistachios can be replaced by almonds too