Last year for diwali i have posted NAN KHATAI for diwali, it turned out very nice and also it was a super hit among my friends too. For diwali 2014, too i wanted to post a Indian style eggless cookies. I book marked this 2 years back from Divine taste blog , finally tried it and it turned out very nice. I just followed the recipe without any alterations. If you are interested in making cookies for diwali, try this easy and flavorful cookies. Best give away goodies for diwali too.
- Soak the saffron in warm milk for 10 minutes and chop the pistachios into small.
- Powder the sugar and add the powdered sugar and ghee in a bowl. Beat this with a spoon till it becomes creamy.
- In a wide bowl add the flour and cardamom powder.
- Add the creamed ghee and sugar and this mixture to the flour along with the soaked saffron. Make it into a soft dough. You can add few drops of milk to make the dough.
- Take small portion of dough and roll into a thick circle.
- Sprinkle few pistachios on this and press it gently with the rolling pin.
- Cut it with a cookie cutter. Arrange them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Repeat this for the rest of the dough.
- Bake this in a preheated oven at 160 degrees for 10to 12 minutes. These cookies were slightly soft when you take it out but will be crispy when it is completely cool.
- I slightly over baked my first batch of cookies but did the second batch perfectly.
- Add good qualitly of saffron to get nice yellow colour.
- Pistachios can be replaced with almonds or cashew nuts too.
- The cookies were not too sweet but were perfect, if you want you can add extra 2 tblsp of sugar to make it little more sweeter.
- You can add a pinch of nutmeg powder to enhance the taste.