This process of making kanji can be done in Microwave too. Use a wide microwave safe bowl for this.
Sathu maavu Kanji
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 15 Mins |Makes: 1 kg approx.
Ragi | Finger millet 1/2 cup
Potttukadalai | Chutney dal 1/2 cup
Black channa | kondakadalai 1/2 cup
Dried corn | makka cholam 1/2 cup
Whole wheat | Godhumai 1/2 cup
Kambu | Pearl Millet 1/2 cup
Green gram |pacha payaru 1/2 cup
Peanuts (de skinned) 1/2 cup
Badam | almonds 7 (optional)
Cashew nuts 7 (optional)
Kasa kasa | poppy seeds 2 tsp
To make porridge:
Sathu maavu 2 tsp
Milk 3/4 cup
Water 1/2 cup
Sugar 1 and 1/2 tsp
- In a pan dry roast all the ingredients separately. Dry roast without getting it burnt.
- Roast till it nicely pops up.
- Allow this to cool and grind this in a mill. Grinding bulk at home will not be very smooth.
- Once it is powdered , to make the porridge, for one person take 2 tsp of kanji maavu and dissolve it in 1/2 cup of water without any lumps.
- Cook this in a low flame till it becomes semi solid consistency.
- Add milk to this and and keep in a low flame . Add sugar and stir well. When it comes to boiling switch off the flame. Be careful at this stage, it will become burnt easily so soon.
- Sathu maavu kanji is ready to serve.
- Adding badam and cashew nuts are optional in the recipe. If you do not want just skip it.
- My mom adds elachi powder and a pinch of edible camphor (pachakarpooram) to this while making . But since i don't like both the flavours i don't add it.
- We can make a savoury version of this kanji maavu too. Will post that later.