Enchilada sauce is used in many Mexican recipes like burrito, quesadilla and Mexican rice. It can be used as a sauce for pasta too. Today i am sharing the recipe of the Enchilada sauce which i used for the Mexican fried rice. I did this for the cookery show which i did for the Mother's day last week. The Vietnamese rolls, the mexican rice with enchilada sauce was a huge hit in the show. The recipe of Mexican fried rice will be coming up next on jeyashri's kitchen.
Enchilada sauce recipe
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Yields: 1 cup
Garlic 4 pods
Olive oil 2 tblsp
Tomato puree 1/4 cup
Red chili powder 1-2 tsp
Oregano 1/2 tsp
Mixed herbs 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Pepper 1 tsp
Brown sugar or white sugar 1 tsp
Plain flour 1 tsp
Lemon juice few drops
- Chop the onions roughly. In a pan add 1 tblsp of oil and cook the onions and the garlic pods till it becomes nice golden brown.
- Alternatively you can use onion powder and garlic powder available in super markets. If you have the powders skip the first step and go ahead with grinding.
- Once it is done switch off the flame and add the tomato puree (if your tomatoes are nice ripe and red in colour add 3 tomaotes) cumin seeds, red chili powder,herbs and oregano. Add little salt.
- Once the mixture is cool grind this into a fine paste.
- In the pan add 1 tblsp of olive oil and add the plain flour to this. Cook for 2 minutes and add the ground paste to this.
- Add water to reach a saucy consistency.
- Add pepper powder and brown sugar. Boil this for 2 minutes and switch it off.
- If using for the rice, burrito or quesadilla, do not add more water. Let this be like a thick sauce.
- If using for pasta let be little thinner.
- Switch off the flame and add few lemon juice.
- Home made enchilada sauce is ready. This can be stored in clean air tight container and stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- This sauce can be used for making pasta too.
- Keep it refrigerated for 3-4 days in a clean jar.
- You can use ripe red tomatoes instead of store bought tomato puree.