Aamras is a popular Maharastrian dish made with mangoes and other flavourful spices like elachi and saffron. I have tasted this many times in my friend's house as a dessert, but this is the first time i am making at home. Last week when i visited a friend she made dal baati and aamras for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the food and noted down the recipe of both. Will soon post the recipe of dal baati. Today i made poori for breakfast and made this aamras too. Poori and aamras turned out to be good combo. Check out my other mango recipes.
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : Nil|Yields: 3/4 cup
Alphonso mangoes* 2
Sugar 2 tsp
Milk 1 tblsp
Cardamom a pinch (optional)
Saffron few strands (optional)
*You can use any variety of mango but alphonso mangoes are recommended.
- Wash the mangoes and peel the skin. Slice it roughly.
- In a mixer add the mangoes, sugar and milk and pulse till it becomes a fine puree.
- Add elachi powder to this and mix well.
- Garnish with saffron and serve chilled.
- Generally it is served with poori.
- Alphonso mangoes gives nice colour to the aamras, you can use any variety of ripe mango too.
- Instead of milk you can add fresh cream also.
- Adding sugar is optional. If the mango is sweet no need to add sugar.