Wish all readers a Happy Gudipadwa and Ugadi. Ugadi (Telugu new year) and Tamil new year are around the corner. Generally we make a menu which has all the six tastes,sweet, sour, salt, spice, astringent and bitter with naturally available ingredients. I have posted neem flower rasam, mango pachadi, raw mango rice, mango pickle and obbatu |poli recipes. Since mangoes started coming in the market i decided to make mango payasam. I love vermicelli payasam so i decided to make mango vermicelli payasam.
Mango Payasam recipe
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 4-5
Semiya | vermicelli 1/3 cup
Milk 4 cups
Sugar 4-5 tblsp
Mango pulp 1 cup
Pistachios or almonds for garnishing
Ghee 1 tsp
Fresh Mango pieces 2 tsp (for garnishing)
Saffron a pinch (optional)
- In a pan add ghee and roast the semiya into golden brown. I used roasted vermicelli.
- Add the milk to this and boil in a medium flame and stir it often. Ensure it should not get burnt.
- Take out 1 tblsp of milk and soak the saffron (if adding). After 5 minutes add the saffron milk to the pan.
- Cook till the milk reduces and the vermicelli gets cooked.
- Do not make it too thick. Once this is cooled it will become thick. So when it is in the kheer | payasam consistency switch off the flame.
- Add sugar to this. alternatively you can add condensed milk too. This will give a richness to the kheer.
- After adding sugar the kheer will get slightly watery, it’s ok , once it is cool it will be alright.
- Do not boil after adding sugar. But if using condensed milk you can add while adding milk itself.
- Allow this to cool completely. Meanwhile peel the skin of the mango and chop them roughly. Reserve a small portion of mango and cut them into cubes. This is for garnishing.
- I used Alphonso mangoes. You can use any variety of mangoes or use mango pulp too.
- I love the bright yellow colour of the alphonso mangoes. I have used in many of my mango dessert recipes.
- Once the payasam is completely cool add the mango puree to the semiya payasam. Garnish with pistachios.
- Do not add the mango puree even if the payasam is slightly warm. It may curdle the payasam.
- Keep it chilled. While serving garnish with some fresh mango pieces.
- This payasam is totally addictive. It tasted awesome even more the next day.
- Always add the mango puree when the payasam is cool.
- You can replace vermicelli with sago too.
- You can roast cashew nuts in ghee and add it to the payasam.
jeyashri, love your blog! so helpful when I want to make something different. Wish you all the best and many accolades.
I try this at home. Very tasty…?