Modak recipe with video
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 15 modak
For the outer covering
Rice flour | idiyappam flour 3/4 cup
Salt as needed
Sesame oil 2 tsp
Water as needed
For the stuffing
Jackfruit 1/2 cup (chopped)
Coconut 1/4 cup
Jaggery 1/4 cup
Ghee 1 tsp
Cardamom powder a pinch (optional)
Jackfruit modakam video
- In a pan add ghee and add in the chopped jackfruit, coconut and jaggery.
- Mix well and cook for 2 minutes. If you feel the mixture is oozing out water just add 1 tsp of rice flour to this and mix well.
- Jack fruit poornam is ready for modak.
- Boil the water nicely. Add salt and 1 tsp of sesame oil to the water.
- Add the flour in a wide bowl and slowly add water little by little.
- Mix well with a spoon.
- When the mixture is warm add 1 tsp of oil and knead it into a smooth dough.
- Keep this covered all the times.
- Take a lemon sized ball of the dough and shape it for the outer cover. Refer my video on how to shape the modak.
- Place 1 tsp of filling inside .
- Bring the edges together to form a modak shape. If you want to shape modak using mould, check out my video on modak using mould.
- Steam the modaks for 7 minutes in a medium flame. I used my bamboo steamer which i bought recently.
- Jackfruit modakam is ready for neivedhyam.
- I tried another version also which i saw in Venkatesh bhat show in vijay tv last year. Will post a green moong savoury poornam tomorrow. Just posting the pic collage of the same here below.
- Ensure that the jackfruits are finely chopped. Else it will be difficult while stuffing.
- You can add 2 tblsp of milk to the water to make the outer cover. This gives nice bright white colour outer cover.
- Do not keep the shaped modaks without steaming for a long time. It will start oozing out water.
- always keep the outer cover dough and the prepared modak covered.