Mexican paratha | rajma cheese paratha is a kid friendly easy lunch box recipe. Even this can be served hot, when the kids are back from school also. i have used the same filling for making a wrap, when i did a cookery show in London. Now wanted to try out paratha with the same filling , so made it today for my lunch. Also the kids when they come back from school, will have this yummy cheesy paratha. There is no hard and fast rules for measurements or ingredients in this recipe. Go wild and make the paratha with your creativity and ideas. Share with me your interesting ideas too.
Check out my
Preparation Time : 15 mins + soaking time 12 hrs| Cooking Time : 35 Mins |Makes: 8
Whole wheat flour 1 and 1/2 cup
Rajma| red kidney bean or black bean 1/2 cup
Olives 4 (optional)
Grated Cheese 1/2 cup
Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
Green chili 1 small
Garlic 3 pods
Salt as needed
Red chili powder 1/4 tsp
Oregano flakes 2 pinches
Oil 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp each for parathas.
- Soak the rajma and pressure cook till 6-7 whistles. Drain the water and keep it aside. Ensure that it should be well cooked.
- In a wide bowl add whole wheat flour and salt.
- Add water and knead this well into a pliable dough. Add 2 drops of oil and cover it and keep aside.
- Chop the garlic and onions finely. Chop the green chili very finely. Take out the seeds from the tomato and chop them finely.
- Chop the olives into roundels (if using)
- In a pan add 1 tsp of oil and add cumin seeds and chopped garlic.
- Once the garlic is cooked add the chopped onions and green chili.
- Now add in the chopped tomatoes and cook for few minutes.
- Add the red chili powder, salt and oregano flakes. Add the cooked beans and olives (if using)
- Mix well and using a potato masher, mash the filling well.
- Cook it well till the moisture in the mixture evaporates.
- Allow this to completely cool and add in the grated cheese.
- Mix well and make equal lemon sized balls.
- Make the dough also into equal slightly big lemon sized balls. Dust it with some dry flour and roll it into a small disc size roti. Place a rajma cheese ball on this.
- Bring the edges to the center and cover the filling.
- Dust with flour and gently knead this into thick medium sized parathas.
- Heat a pan and lift the rolled parathas and put it on the pan.
- Cook on both sides and add oil in the last and take it out from the pan.
- Repeat the same for the rest of the dough and filling.
- Cut them into 4 parts and serve it with sour cream dip and tomato salsa or mango salsa or avacado dip.
- Always add the cheese when the cooked mixture is cool, else cheese will be melted and difficult to roll as a ball.
- You can use black bean too. Tinned beans can also be used.
- Cooked sweet corn can also be added to this.
- Also finely chopped capsicum can also be added.