Chutney without coconut
Curry leaves chutney
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 10 Mins |Serves: 2-3
Curry leaves 1 cup (loosely packed)
Garlic 2 cloves
Shallots | small onions 10
Urad dal 1 tblsp
Green chili 2
Salt as needed
Oil 3 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/8 tsp
- Wash the curry leaves and pat dry them.
- Peel the skin of garlic and onion. I used small onion, you can use big onion too.
- In a pan add 2 tsp of oil and add the urad dal,green chili and garlic, when it starts changing colour, add the onions.
- Cook this on a low flame till the dal turns golden brown and the onions starts shrinking.
- Add salt to the onions while cooking. This makes it cook bit fast without getting burnt.
- Once they are cooked add the curry leaves and saute for 5 seconds and switch off the flame.
- Let the curry leaves gets cooked in the pan heat only.
- Let this cool completely.
- Grind into a fine paste. Add little water while grinding. Once it is done, add little water to bring to this to chutney consistency.
- In the remaining 1 tsp oil add the mustard seeds and when it splutters add that to the chutney. Mix well.
- Sever karuvepillai chutney with idli | dosa | adai or upma.
- You can add a small piece of tamarind to this chutney. In that case increase the quantity of green chili.
- If using tamarind roast this along with the dal.
- If you want to can add 2 tblsp of grated coconut to the chutney.
- Channa dal can be replaced with urad dal. You can add blaco urad dal to make it healthier.