Aloo baingan (urulai kathrikkai poriyal) is a north indian style dry subzi with potatoes and eggplant. I have noted down few recipes which i tasted during our trip, to London and Europe, and more than all liked by the kids. This aloo baingan subzi, we tasted on our first day of our trip. We all loved it very much and kids who generally don’t take eggplant, loved it very much. So i tried this last weekend at home, and it was a super hit. This goes well with both chapathi and rice. Stay tuned for more recipes coming up, which i learnt during my family holiday and my extended holiday to India for wedding.
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 4
Potato 3 (medium size)
Eggplant|Brinjal 1 big
Garlic 3 pods
Red chili powder 1 tsp
Coriander powder 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Jeera powder 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves few
Kasoori methi a pinch (optional)
Salt as needed
Oil 2 tblsp
Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
- Peel the skin of the potatoes and cut them into cubes.
- Chop the eggplant into cubes. I used the big ones, if you don’t have big use 5-6 small brinjals.
- Finely chop the onions and tomatoes. Peel the skin of the garlic.
- In a pan add oil and add in the cumin seeds. Crush the garlic roughly and add it to the pan. Alternatively you can use ginger garlic paste too.
- Add the chopped onions to this. Cook till the onions become translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and cook well.
- Now add the red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Cook for 2 minutes and add the cubed potatoes.
- Mix well and add in 1 cup of water. Cover it and cook till the potatoes are almost cooked.
- Add the cubed eggplants to this now. Mix well and cover it and cook till it is completely cooked. Add little water if needed.
- Cook in a low flame without getting it burnt.
- Add coriander leaves and kasoori methi in the last and switch off the flame.
- Aloo baingan subzi is ready to serve.
- Serve with roti or rice or with any pulao. We had with masoor dal tadka and basmati rice.
- You can add capsicum in the last, to enhance the taste.
- Garam masala can also be added, while adding other powders.
- You can add sambar powder also instead of red chili powder, and coriander powder.