Aloo channa chaat sandwich is a kids friendly sandwich which includes cheese, chickpeas and chaat chutneys (used in Indian chaats). This recipe i have given for “Youth Kitchen” for Kungumam Thozi Jan edition. This recipe is a huge hit at my place and both the kids loved it a lot. It was quite filling for them. Even this same aloo channa chaat sandwich can be made for adults too without adding cheese. You may also like these recipes too.
Preparation Time : 10 mins+ 10 hours soaking | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Bread slices 12
White chickpeas | channa 1/2 cup
Green chutney as needed
Sweet chutney as needed
Butter to spread on bread
Red chilli powder 1/2 tsp
Amchoor powder 1/4 tsp
Chaat masala 1/4 tsp
Grated cheese 1/4 cup(approx)
Coriander leaves few
Salt as needed
- Soak the channa overnight or 10 hours and boil this in a pressure cooker along with potato for 4-5 whistles.
- Drain the water from channa and peel the skin of the potato.
- In a wide bowl add the cooked channa, potato, red chilli powder, amchoor powder, chaat masala and salt. Add finely chopped coriander leaves. With a potato masher mash the potato and slightly mash the channa and mix well.
- Our stuffing for the sandwich is ready.
- Take a bread and spread butter on one side of the bread. On the other side add little green chutney(keep the chutney thick) and sweet chutney. Spread them well.
- Add some grated cheese on this and spread some channa aloo mixture on the top of this.
- Spread some more cheese on the top.
- Spread butter on another bread and cover this stuffed bread with the buttered side facing upwards.
- You can either cook this in a sandwich maker or cook in a dosa tawa. If cooking in a dosa pan, place the bread and once one side becomes golden brown, carefully flip it on the other side.
- I tried both the methods and both came out well. But i loved the tawa one as i wanted to click it in that way.
- You can reduce or cut the cheese in this recipe.
- Whole wheat bread can be used for the sandwich.
- Black channa can also be used to make this sandwich.
- Even rajma or green peas can be used too.