Beetroot chaas|Chukandar chaas is a healthy summer cooler recipe. It is similar to the masala chaas but the addition of beetroot makes it more healthy. Beetroot, yogurt and few spices, just mix everything and consume on hot sunny day. We south Indians make neer mor during summer. My mom used to make neer mor in the morning, during summer days and keep it in a big jug in the refrigerator. We have to finish that by evening. Those days we are never exposed to any aerated or bottle juices. Also we have 4 coconut trees in the house and we used to get fresh organic ilaneer from the home grown trees. Stay hydrated in the summer by taking home made summer coolers.
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 5 Mins |Serves: 3
Green chili 1/2
Ginger a small piece
Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
Yogurt 1 and 1/2 cup
Water 1 cup
Chaat masala 1/4 tsp
Salt as needed
- Chop the beetroot into cubes and cook in little water for 5 minutes. You can skip this step and straight away proceed to grind the ingredients.
- You can roast the beetroot in the oven too.
- Allow this to completely cool. No need to drain the water.
- Grind the beetroot, yogurt, green chili,ginger,cumin seeds along with salt.
- Grind into a smooth paste.
- You can straight away serve this but i wanted to filter it.
- Filter the chaas and add chaat masala to this.
- Add 1 cup of water to bring it to a right consistency.
- Serve chilled.
- You can temper the chaas with mustard seeds and hing as we do for south Indian neer mor.
- Roasted cumin powder can be added in the last while serving.
- You can also add few mint leaves or coriander leaves while grinding.