Click here for full diwali collection recipes .
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Yields: 1 and 1/2 cup appox.
Beetroot grated 1 and 1/2 cup (350gm beetroot)
Sugar 3/4 cup
Khoya 1/2 cup (optional)
Milk 1 and 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder a pinch
Ghee 4 tsp
Cashew nut few
- Peel the skin of the beetroot and grate the beetroot in a small grater.
- In a heavy bottomed pan add 2 tsp of ghee and slightly roast the grated beetroot for 2-3 minutes.
- Add milk to this and cook the beetroot. Stir it often.
- Bring the khoya to room temperature. Crumble it nicely and add it to the pan.
- Stir well and cook it continuously. Add sugar to this. 1/2 cup of sugar will also be perfect but i felt it is less sweeter so added 3/4 cup. After adding sugar, the mixture will turn little watery. Do no panic. It will come to thick halwa in some time.
- Add the cardamom powder to this and mix well.
- Cook till the milk evaporates and the halwa turns to a glossy texture. Add 1 tsp of ghee to this. Roast the cashews with 1 tsp of ghee and add it to the halwa.
- When everything comes to a whole mass, switch off the flame.
- Switch off the flame. Transfer it to a bowl and serve warm.
- This stays well in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Warm it and serve.
- Adding khoya is optional. It gives a rich texture to the sweet.
- Instead of khoya you can add 4 tblsp of condensed milk also. If adding add once the halwa is 3/4th done.
- If adding condensed milk reduce the sugar . 2-3 tblsp of sugar will be enough.