Batata poha recipe with video
Batata poha is a Maharastian breakfast recipe made with poha|aval . This can be had for breakfast or evening snack or for a light dinner too. Though i make poha upma at home regularly, i always want to learn the Maharastrian style batata poha. They make Kande poha also without the addition of potatoes. This upma is loved by all at home. I have learnt this recipe from my son’s friend’s mom. I immediately tried this at home yesterday and turned out very well. Try this easy batata poha upma for breakfast.
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 4
Thick poha 1 and 1/2 cup
Oil 4-5 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
Green chili 2
Jeera powder 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder 3/4 tsp
Salt as needed
Sugar 1/4 tsp
Peanuts 2 tblsp
Lemon juice 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves few
Fresh coconut 1-2 tsp (for garnishing)
Video of Batata Poha
- Wash the poha nicely and drain the water.
- Add sugar, salt and turmeric powder to this and mix well and keep aside.
- Chop the onions finely and chop the potatoes into small cubes.
- Slit the green chili
- In a pan add 3 tsp of oil and add in the mustard seeds.
- When it starts spluttering, add in the green chili, curry leaves, jeera powder and onions.
- Cook till the onions become pink and translucent. Do not make it brown.
- Add in the peanuts now. You can use roasted peanuts too, so that cooking time is reduced.
- I used raw peanuts and so it took 5-7 minutes to get nicely roasted. Cook the peanuts in a low flame.
- You can add 1-2 tsp of oil in between.
- Add in the potatoes and cook till they become soft. You can cover and cook that too.
- Once the potatoes become soft add in the poha. Lower the flame and mix well.
- Once it gets nicely mixed, cook in a medium flame for 2 minutes. Stir it and ensure that it should not stick to the bottom.
- Switch off the flame and add the lemon juice. Mix well and garnish with coriander leaves and coconut.
- Batata poha is ready.
- Serve hot with tea.
- Use thick variety of poha for this batata poha.
- You can add carrots and capsicum to this and make it colourful, but authentic maharastrian poha doesn’t use this.
- Do not keep the poha washed for a long time, it will become dry.
- If you feel it is too dry sprinkle 1 tblsp of milk to this while cooking.
- You can sprinkle some sev before serving.