Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 15 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Samba wheat | Daliya 1 cup
Mixed veggies* 1/3 cup
Green chili 1-2
Oil 2 tsp
Water 3 cups
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Urad dal 1/4 tsp
Channa dal 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder 2 pinches
*I used carrot,beans and green peas.
Method with step wise pictures:
- Chop the veggies and the onions finely.
- Chop the green chillis.
- In a pan, add oil and throw in the mustard seeds , and when it crackles add channa dal, urad dal, green chilli.
- Add the onions and saute till the onions becomes soft and turns pink.
- Now add the veggies and saute for 2 minutes in a medium flame.
- Add 3 cups of water to this and add salt to taste.
- Boil the water till the veggies becomes soft, in a medium flame.
- Now simmer the flame and slowly add the broken wheat and stir continuously without any lumps.
- Cook till the upma becomes soft and the water gets completely absorbed.
- Serve hot with any pickle.
Sending this upma to the event hosted by Nags and The Balance Mantra.
Finely chopped tomatoes can be added while sauting the onions.
A tblsp of grated ginger can also be added while tempering to enhance the flavor.