Chettinadu style cauliflower soup always give me memories of my school days. We all used to have in our friend’s place and her mom makes this very nice. When i was talking to her i was asking for the recipe and she sent me a voice note in whats app. When i made it tasted exactly the same her mom used to make. The aroma of the soup tempts anyone to have an extra serving. This can be had as an filling soup or can be mixed with rice as an rasam too. But generally they callas cauliflower soup. The same soup can be made with baby corn too.
Cauliflower 1 small
Chettinad Cauliflower soup
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 4-5
Cauliflower 1 small
Shallots |small onion 7
Toor dal 2 tblsp
Tomato 1 small
Garlic 5 pods
Whole black pepper 10
Sombu | fennel powder or cumin powder 1/4 tsp
Green chili 1
Bay leaf 1
Turmeric powder 2 pinches
Jeeragam | cumin 1/4 tsp
Salt as needed
Curry leaves few
Oil 2 tsp
- Wash the cauliflower and immerse them in hot water for 2 minutes. Clean it and cut them into florets.
- Peel the skin of the onions and cut them into round slices. Chop the tomatoes into small cubes.
- Cook the toor dal in a pressure cooker, with enough water by adding little turmeric powder. Peel the skin of the garlic.
- In a pan add oil and add in the bay leaf ,curry leaves,cumin seed,green chili and whole black pepper . Add in the cut shallots and garlic.
- Saute for a while and when the onions turn pink add in the tomatoes. Cook till the tomatoes become soft. Add salt.
- Add the cauliflower and saute for a minute. add 3 cups of water to this and cook till the cauliflower gets soft.
- Add in the cooked toor dal diluted with 1 cup of water and also the fennel powder or cumin powder.
- When it becomes frothy switch off the flame and garnish with curry leaves.
- Super hot cauliflower soup is ready to serve. Enjoy this hot always.
- Do not crush the whole black pepper. The taste of the whole one will be nice in the soup.
- Discard the bay leaf before serving.
- Fennel powder | sombu powder adds a very nice flavour to the soup. So do not skip this.
yummy soup!! love the Indianised version!!
now this is what i call as winter s delights- comfort in a bowl with the goodness of cauliflower
Can't wait to try out this lovely looking soup.
Looking forward to trying out this Rasam Jeyashri . Iam a big fan of your cooking . I follow many of your recipes and it comes out
So perfect . Thankyou Thankyou abd Thankyou 🙏🙏🙏
So happy to know that. Thank you so much