Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 4-5
Cauliflower 1 small
Shallots |small onion 7
Toor dal 2 tblsp
Tomato 1 small
Garlic 5 pods
Whole black pepper 10
Sombu | fennel powder or cumin powder 1/4 tsp
Green chili 1
Bay leaf 1
Turmeric powder 2 pinches
Jeeragam | cumin 1/4 tsp
Salt as needed
Curry leaves few
Oil 2 tsp
- Wash the cauliflower and immerse them in hot water for 2 minutes. Clean it and cut them into florets.
- Peel the skin of the onions and cut them into round slices. Chop the tomatoes into small cubes.
- Cook the toor dal in a pressure cooker, with enough water by adding little turmeric powder. Peel the skin of the garlic.
- In a pan add oil and add in the bay leaf ,curry leaves,cumin seed,green chili and whole black pepper . Add in the cut shallots and garlic.
- Saute for a while and when the onions turn pink add in the tomatoes. Cook till the tomatoes become soft. Add salt.
- Add the cauliflower and saute for a minute. add 3 cups of water to this and cook till the cauliflower gets soft.
- Add in the cooked toor dal diluted with 1 cup of water and also the fennel powder or cumin powder.
- When it becomes frothy switch off the flame and garnish with curry leaves.
- Super hot cauliflower soup is ready to serve. Enjoy this hot always.
- Do not crush the whole black pepper. The taste of the whole one will be nice in the soup.
- Discard the bay leaf before serving.
- Fennel powder | sombu powder adds a very nice flavour to the soup. So do not skip this.