Dal palak | spinach dal is an easy and comforting dish and though i have tasted this in restaurants never tried at home. But my friends here, used to make this often for rotis. For a change from usual Keeari masiyal and keerai poriyal i tried this dal palak which a bunch of palak which i got from the Indian store . To my surprise the kids and hubby loved this a lot and they finished the entire bowl in no time.
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Palak | spinach 2 cups
Garlic 3-4 cloves
Ginger 1/2 tsp (chopped)
Green chili 2
Toor dal 3/4 cup (cooked)
Sugar 1/2 tsp
Salt as needed
Oil + ghee 2 tsp each.
Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Lemon juice 1 tsp
- Wash the palak and chop them finely.
- Chop the onion and the ginger finely. Slit the green chilies.
- Cook the toor dal with garlic pods, in pressure cooker till 4-5 whistles. Mash it nicely and keep aside.
- In a pan oil and ghee. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When they crackle add the ginger, onion and green chilli.
- Cook till the onions turn pink and translucent.
- Add the chopped palak and add sugar and salt.
- Cook in a medium flame till the spinach shrinks.
- This will take 4-5 minutes
- Add the cooked toor dal and mix well. If it is thick add water to reach a right kootu consitency.
- Bring this to a nice boil. Switch off the flame and squeeze the lemon juice.
- Serve hot with rice | roti.
- If you are adding tomatoes add just after the onions are cooked.
- Do not add lemon juice in the last if you are adding tomato.
- You can add chopped onions and tomatoes to the dal while adding garlic(before cooking)
it looks perfect n healthy…will eat this full.thanks for sharing.
Real comfort food dear…looks so yummy…
nice n healthy dal recipe..
Evergreen greeny gravy…
healthy and delicious dal 🙂
so perfect and so healthy!!
Ongoing Event – Eggless Bakes and Treats
Ongoing Event – SYF&HWS – Ginger
Dal Palak looks delicious! vazhakkai curry looks great!! dal Palak will also taste great with rotis..
weekly once i prepare this dal palak because its a easy dish and so as cleaning process of leaves 🙂 lovely bowl
my most favorite dal with spinach… yummy…
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA
Excellent tips & method about recipes, you have a wide range of indian recipes list available, helpful site – thanks
Even i had dal palak for lunch,love this healthy dal.
love this combo very much:)
Join EP event-Garlic OR Turmeric @ Spice n Flavors
healthy n delicious dal..
I love dal and adding spinach to dal is just a great idea 🙂
Its the comfort food that makes us happy most of the times.. but sadly people never realise that … i m craving for this dal right now
Looks delicious, i love the one they serve in SB. bright pictures
Dal palak is one of my favorites…Looks very yummy Jeyashri..
Healthy one, nice presentation..
Our family's comfort meal is dal palak & rice!
YOu seem to make the ordinary palak dal look so exciting with nice pictures ! And yes, I love this delicous dish
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh yummy yummy dal.
I love it with rice too.. very tempting
love this healthy dish
Can we use masoor red/pink split dal instead?
I think you can use that too but i have never cooked masoor dal
can we add garlic?recipe looks tasty…..
Absolutely your choice, if you like the flavor feel free to add
I tried. Very tasty and easy to make. Thnks for sharing
oh i really tried making first time….and i was absolutely amazed that i cook dal palak…and that too surprisingly it was taste really good….loved it.Thank you mam for the recipe.
Thank you so much. Glad you tried and thanks for writing the feedback.