Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 30 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Dal 3/4 cup*
Ghee 2 tblsp
Oil 1 tblsp
Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida 2 pinches
Bay leaf 2
Dry Red chili 3
Green chili 1
Garlic 4 pods
Ginger 1 small piece
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Red chili powder 1 tsp
Jeera powder 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder 1/2 tsp
Garam masala 1/2 tsp
Kasoori methi 2 pinches
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves few
*2 tblsp of toor dal + 2 tblsp of moong dal + 2 tblsp of channa dal + 1 tblsp of urad dal
+ 1 tblsp of masoor dal + 1 tblsp of split green moong dal
- Wash the dal and add turmeric powder. Soak for 5 minutes.
- Pressure cook this for 4-5 whistles. MAsh this nicely using a masher or with a back of a ladle.
- Using a mortar and pestle grind the garlic, ginger and green chili.
- In a pan heat oil, ghee and add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Add the ground ginger garlic and chili paste to this.
- Add the bay leaf and red chilis to the pan. Finely chop the onions and add it to the pan.
- Puree the tomato and add it to the pan, once the onions becomes slight brown in colour. Add little salt to this now.
- Let this cook for few minutes in medium flame till the tomato oozes out oil.
- Add the red chili powder, coriander powder, jeera powder, garam masala .
- Mix this well and cook for 2 minutes. Add the kasoori methi to this. Mix well and add the cooked dal to this. Add remaining salt too.
- Mix this well and add 1 cup of water to this. Cook in a low flame for 2 minutes. Stir in between.
- To bring the dhaba effect, take a small piece of charcoal and keep it on the flame.
- When it catches nice flame, keep in a small bowl and place the bowl inside the dal and cover the pan. You can add a drop of ghee in the charcoal. Just a drop will do.
- Cover thsi for 5 minutes and keep the flame very low.
- Switch off the gas after 5 minutes and discard the charcoal.
- Mix well and add finely chopped coriander leaves. Transfer into a serving bowl.
- Dal tadka is ready to serve.
- Serve thsi with hot rotis or jeera rice or with any pulao of your choice.