Ennai katrikkai kulambu, Poondu kuzhambu, Drumstick puli kuzhambu, Kara kuzhambu.
Preparation Time : 15 mins + 2 hours soaking | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 4
Cow pea benas | thatta payar 1/2 cup
Tamarind a small lemon size
Small onion 15
Garlic pods 10
Tomato 1 small
Red chili powder 2 tsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Coconut 3 tsp
Fennel seeds | sombu 1/2 tsp
Salt as needed
Sesame oil 1 tblsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
- Soak the thatta payar for 2 hours and pressure cook this for 3 whistles. If u have no time to soak, dry roast in a pan for 3 minutes, without getting it burnt.
- Then add water and pressure cook the cow beans for 4 whistles.
- In a pan add oil and add mustard seeds and add the peeled onions and garlic. Saute this in a medium flame for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes.
- Saute till they becomes mushy. Keep aside half of the sauted mix. This we are going to grind along with coconut and fennel(sombu). I forgot to click this step as i was interestingly chatting with my sister while making this 🙂
- Take 2 cups of tamarind extract and add to the remaining onion tomato mixture in the pan and add the cooked thatta payar to this.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt. Let this boil for few minutes. Now add the ground mixture to this. (half of the onion tomato garlic plus coconut and fennel ). Grind into a smooth mixture.
- Let this boil for few minutes in a medium flame, till the gravy comes to right consistency.
- Add curry leaves to thsi. If needed add 1 tsp of sesame oil to this and switch off the flame.
- Thatta payir kulambu is ready to serve.