Preparation Time : 15 mins + 8 hours soaking | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Kala chana | black chana 1/2 cup
Ginger a small piece
Garlic 3 pods
Red chili powder 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder 1/4 tsp
Jeera powder 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Garam Masala 1/4 tsp
Oil 1 tblsp
Coriander leaves to garnish
- Soak the kala chana in water for 8 hours. Pressure cook this till 4-5 whistles. Keep it aside.
- Chop the onions and tomato finely.
- In a pressure cooker, add little oil and cook the onions till golden brown. When it is done add tomatoes to this and cook in a low flame. Add the ginger and garlic to this.Switch off the flame.
- Allow this to cool.
- Grind this into a fine paste.
- In the cooker add remaining oil and add in the ground paste and add the red chili powder, jeera powder , coriander powder, turmeric powder and garam masala. Add little salt. Remember we added little salt while cooking the chana.
- Cook this in a low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked chana to this along with the water.
- Cover the pressure cooker and cook till 2 whistles.
- Kala chana masala is ready.
- Add coriander leaves. Serve hot with rotis.
- You can add some round rings of onions while serving. Chana masala paired with roti and onions will be very nice.
- Do not add more water while cooking the chana. Else the masala will be watery.
- You can add some whole masala such as bay leaf, star anise while cooking the chana. This will make the gravy flavourful.