Potato Kurma is an easy and delicious side dish. I have given this recipe in Aval Vikatan supplement in August 2014. This can be had with poori, chapathi and also for biryanis too. I want to post all the recipes i have posted in the supplement books so far, here. Since many of my non tamil readers are asking me to post them, i will be posting them here one by one every week. This restaurant syle potato kurma recipe is a must one to try, also potatoes can be replaced by mixed vegetables too.
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Green chili 1
Coconut grated 1 tblsp
Cashew nuts 4-5
Salt to taste
Kalpaasi | stone flower a small piece
Bay leaf 1
Corinader leaves few
- In a pan add oil and add the roughly chopped onion and tomato, add in the green chili.
- Once it is cool add the coconut and cashew and grind this into a fine paste.
- Chop the other onion into long thin slices. Cut the potatoes into cubes.
- In a pressure cooker add oil and add the bay leaf and stone flower(kalpaasi)
- Add in the sliced onions.
- When the onions turn translucent add the potatoes. Saute for a minute.
- Add in the ground paste.
- Add 1 cup of water and salt. Cover the cooker with lid and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- If the gravy is too thin mash 2 potatoes and give it a boil.
- If it is thick add little water and bring it to boil.
- Instead of tomato, you can add 2 tblsp of thick yogurt too. If adding yogurt add while adding the ground paste.
- Stone flower|kalpaasi brings out the true flavour of restaurant style kurma.