Daddojanam | thayir sadam
Check out my
Kovil thayir sadam
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 1
Raw rice| sona masoori rice 1/4 cup
Milk * 1/4 cup
Curd | yogurt 1/4 cup
Oil 2 tsp
Ginger (grated) 1/4 tsp
Urad dal 1/4 tsp
Channa dal 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida a pinch
Salt to taste
Red chili 1
Curry leaves few
* you can use cold milk or boiled and cooled milk. Do no use hot milk.
- Wash and soak the raw rice for 10 minutes. Soaking is optional.
- Cook the rice with 3/4 cup of water for 6-7 whistles in a pressure cooker.
- Mash the rice when it is hot with a back of a spoon. and allow this to cool in a wide bowl.
- When it is completely cool add the milk, salt and yogurt. Mix well with clean hands. You can very well do it with a ladle too but for even lump free mixing hands are highly recommended.
- Add few more spoon of milk or yogurt to adjust the taste and consistency.
- In a pan add the oil and add the mustard seeds,grated ginger, channa dal, urad dal, curry leaves and red chili.
- When the dal changes colour switch off the flame.
- Add this tadka to the curd rice and mix well.
- Serve chilled.
- If the rice turns hard after an hour so, add little milk and curd to this and adjust the salt just before serving.
- Always add milk and yogurt when the rice is completely cool.
- Never use hot milk, always use milk either at room temperature or chilled milk.
- Full cream milk gives a creamy texture to the curd rice.
- You can add finely chopped coriander leaves to the oil while giving tadka.
- Some pomegranate or grapes can be added to the rice, before serving.