Idiyappam | sevai |Rice noodles is a healthy south indian breakfast. We generally make this for dinner too. My mom makes variety of idiyappam and she makes the basic idiyappam using the traditional sevai nazhi. I have already posted the recipe of idiyappam but this one i made with instant rice sevai available in the stores. This is a simple recipe but can be made in less than 30 minutes, serves as a perfect breakfast |week night dinner too. I have used Concord, Double horse brand of instant sevai few times. Both worked out very well for me. If you know any other brand works out well for you, please mention in the comment section.
- Cook the rice sevai according to the instructions given on the packet.
- Drain the water from the sevai and keep it aside.
- Mean while chop the onions, cut the carrots and capsicum into small.
- In a pan add oil and add the mustard leaves and curry leaves. Add onions and saute till they turn pink.
- Add in the veggies, sambar powder and salt. Mix well and let the veggies be crunchy and cook them in a low flame,without getting them burnt.
- Add garam masala and mix well.
- Add in the cooked idiyappam. and gently mix well without breaking the soft idiyappam. Let this be in a low flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the coriander leaves and serve along with raita if you want.
- The idiyappam stays soft even after 2 hours from it is made. So you can pack this for lunch box too, if kids like this.
- You can add ginger garlic paste, before adding onions.
- Finely chopped tomatoes can be added after adding onions.
- You can add cauliflower, finely chopped potato and sweet corn also.
- Mint leaves can be added for nice flavor, while adding onions.
- Sambar powder can be replaced with 3/4 tsp of red chili powder and 1/4 tsp of coriander powder.