Palkova recipe | Therattipal for Krishnajayanthi – Stove top version of therattipal recipe- Traditional method – with step by step instructions.
Thiratipaal | Palkova is a must-one we make at home for Janmashtami. My mil makes palkova and my mom makes basundi. Both are experts in their own way in making this palkova. I tried microwave version of therattipal long back and posted the recipe too. My mil makes with cow’s milk and she always tells that it will give a perfect taste and color to the palkova.
- In a heavy bottomed pan add the milk and start boiling this.
- Place a very small plate into this, this is to avoid the milk getting burnt and overflowing.
- Continuously stir in the milk Though we place the small plate, stir continuously to avoid getting burnt.
- Put in a small flame.
- Let this boil till it becomes a semi-thick gravy. Now the color of the milk will be slightly different.
- Add sugar to this.
- After adding sugar, the mixture will loosen slightly. Boil this for a few more minutes.
- The mixture becomes thick, add the yogurt to this and mix well. Let this be in flame for just 2 minutes, to get a grainy texture. Scrap out the edges.
- Palkova is ready for neivedhyam.
- Adding yogurt is to get a grainy texture. So add in the last and switch off the flame in 2 minutes.
- Do not add more curd, will give a sour taste to the sweet.
- You can take this out in a semi-consistent state if you want basundi.
- Adding cardamom powder is optional as I always feel, it will suppress the original taste of the palkova.