Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 2-3
Paneer cubes 1 cup
Cashew nuts + almonds 8 each
Garlic 4 pods
Green chili 2
Yogurt 3 tblsp
Bay leaf | tej patta 1
Milk 3 tblsp
Fresh cream 1 tblsp
Garam masala 1/2 tsp (optional)
Coriander leaves few
Salt to taste
Oil 1 tblsp
- Roughly chop the onions. Peel the skin of the garlic.
- In a pan add 2 tsp of oil and add the onions and garlic.
- Cook in a low flame for 5 minutes without changing its colour.
- Soak the cashew and almonds in hot water for 10 minutes and take out the skin from the almonds.
- Soak the paneer in hot water. Keep them immersed till you add it to the gravy.
- Grind the onion and garlic into a fine paste. Add little water while grinding.
- Grind the cashew and almond into a fine paste. Add milk to this while grinding. Add the remaining milk if any to this cashew badam paste and mix well. Keep aside.
- In a pan add remaining oil and add the green chili, cardamom and bay leaf.
- Add the ground onion garlic paste.
- Saute well in a low flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Add yogurt to this. Whisk well to get this blend nicely with the gravy.
- Add the cashew almond paste to this now.
- Mix well and let this cook for 5-6 minutes in a low flame. In between slightly increase the heat and bring it down. Stir continuously.
- Ensure that the colour of the gravy should not get changed.
- Add garam masala now. If you are so particular about the rich white colour, skip the addition of garam masala. It will slightly change the colour.
- Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Add the fresh cream and if needed add little water to get the right consistency of the gravy.
- Squeeze out the excess water from paneer and add it to the gravy.
- Mix well.
- Add salt now and mix it well. Boil for a minute.
- Switch it off.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Instead of almonds you can add melon seeds(magaz). This gives a creamy texture for the gravy.
- The gravy as such will not be too spicy, if you want you can add one more green chili too.
- The original recipe blanched the onions and garlic and then made as a paste.
- Since i felt it will be too raw, i slightly roasted it in the oil. Ensure that the onions doesn’t change it color.
- You can store this White gravy without adding yogurt in the refrigerator for a week.