Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Makes: 25 pieces approx.
Chutney dal | pottukadalai | fried gram 1 cup
Rice flour 1/2 cup
Ginger a small piece
Green chili 1-2
Salt as needed
Garlic 2 cloves
Fennel seeds | sombu |saunf 1 tsp
Oil for deep frying
Curry leaves few
- Grind the chutney dal into a fine powder in a mixie.
- Finely chop the onions, curry leaves and green chili. Grate the ginger.
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush the fennel seeds, chopped green chili and garlic pods.
- Even you can pulse coarsely in a mixie.
- In a wide bowl add the ground flour, rice flour, salt, grated ginger and the fennel garlic mixture.
- Add the finely chopped onions.
- Add 1 tblsp of hot oil to this.
- Sprinkle little water and make a stiff yet soft dough. Ensure not to have any cracks in the dough.
- Make it into lemon sized balls.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Once the oil becomes hot, keep this in medium flame.
- Fry in batches till golden brown.
- The pakodas were crisp outside and soft inside.
- Serve with tea or coffee.
- Even after 2-4 hours of making, the pakodas remain crisp outside and soft inside.
- Do not make the dough too hard, else it will give cracks while frying.
- These pakodas didn’t consume oil much, it was similar to the usual onion pakoda we make with the besan flour.
- I added 1 green chili, it was medium spicy.
- You can add finely chopped mint leaves too.