Pinwheel cookies i am attempting for the first time but i am so happy with the results. I was in a dilemma whether to make short bread cookies or chocolate chip cookies, but finally decided to make pinwheel cookies. I saw few videos in you tube and had an idea as how to make pinwheel cookies. I made an basic eggless vanilla cookie dough and added some melted chocolate chip to make a chocolate dough. I am so happy with the results . Do give it a try at home and for sure your kids will love this.
The recipe of the basic cookies is from Joy of baking.
- Add powdered sugar and butter in a bowl. Mix this well.
- Add this mixture to flour and add vanilla essence.
- Mix well and make this into a pliable dough. If needed add few drops of milk while kneading.
- Melt 1/4 cup of chocolate chips using double broiler method. Divide the dough into 2 equal portions.
- Add the melted chocolate to one portion of the dough.
- Knead this into a smooth dough.
- Cover both the dough separately using cling wrap and keep it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes roll the dough , if you need you can add little milk, if the dough is very dry.
- Roll both the dough separately and put one on top of the other and roll very gently.
- While rolling put them on a butter paper as shown on the picture.
- Roll them into a rectangle , even if comes as oval no worries , you cut the edges and make it into a rectangle.
- The cut edges you can just roll it and make it into marble cookies.
- Carefully roll it into a log shape. Slice them into a cookies as shown in the picture.
- Line them on a baking tray spread with parchment paper | butter paper. The second one are the marbled cookies.
- Preheat the oven for 5 minutes at 160 degrees and bake them for 10 minutes at the same temperature.
- Allow this to cool completely. After that if you feel that the cookies are still soft bake them for 3 minutes again.
- Enjoy the cookies . We all loved this cookies very much. My son who generally never eat cookies liked this very much.
- Always ensure the dough is smooth and without any cracks.
- else while rolling it into a log it will break.
- This lesson i learnt from my own experience. you could see some cracks in my log too.