Rajma masala is an authentic Punjabi dish which i have tasted many times in restaurants. Though i make Dal makhani at home , rajma masala is a rare one that i make at home. Recently during our trip to Vietnam, we were served jeera rice and rajma masala in the flight and my son Varun enjoyed it a lot. He asked me to make rajma masala at home one day. I totally forgot that and last week one day he pleaded me to make rajma masala for dinner after coming from school. But i didn’t soak rajma previous night. Finally i bought the canned red kidney beans and rajma masala for him.
Also check out my
INGREDIENTS: (SERVES 3-4)
|RAJMA | RED KIDNEY BEANS (COOKED)*||1 AND 1/2 CUP|
|GARAM MASALA||1/4 TSP|
|JEERA POWDER||1/4 TSP|
|RED CHILLI POWDER||1/2 TSP|
|KASOORI METHI||1/4 TSP|
|MILK | CREAM||1/4 CUP|
* I used 2 canned red kidney beans.
- If using the dry rajma, soak it for 10 to 12 hours and cook till 6-7 whistles in a pressure cooker or till it becomes soft. Add salt and bay leaf while cooking. Discard the bay leaf later. Reserve the cooked water.
- If using canned one, drain the excess water and wash it thoroughly.
- Chop the onions very finely. Alternatively you can make the onion into a fine paste too.
- In a pan add the oil and add the bay leaf ( since i used the canned rajma i have added bay leaf now) If using dry one, add bay leaf while cooking itself.
- Throw in the onions and saute for few minutes in a low flame till it turns pink.
- Add the garam masala powder at this stage and saute for few minutes. Adding garam masala at this stage will give a nice flavor to the curry.
- Puree the tomatoes and add it to the onion garam masala mix.
- Add the red chilli powder, coriander powder, jeera powder and coriander powder.
- Mix well and saute well till the raw smell goes off and the gravy oozes out oil.
- Add the red kidney beans to this.
- If you cooked the rajma add the reserved water which u used for cooking else add 1 to 1 and 1/2 cup of water.
- Add the kasoori methi. Check for salt.
- Allow this boil for few minutes and add the milk. I used full cream milk for a creamy texture. You can use cream or evaporated milk too.
- Keep the flame low and cook it for 20 minutes . Stir in between.
- Creamy and finger licking Rajma masala is ready to serve.
- Serve with roti | jeera rice.
- Ginger garlic paste can be added after adding onions.
- Use the best variety of red kidney beans, else it will not get cooked.
Check out these recipes too: