Rajma masala is an authentic Punjabi dish which i have tasted many times in restaurants. Though i make Dal makhani at home , rajma masala is a rare one that i make at home. Recently during our trip to Vietnam, we were served jeera rice and rajma masala in the flight and my son Varun enjoyed it a lot. He asked me to make rajma masala at home one day. I totally forgot that and last week one day he pleaded me to make rajma masala for dinner after coming from school. But i didn’t soak rajma previous night. Finally i bought the canned red kidney beans and rajma masala for him.
Also check out my
INGREDIENTS: (SERVES 3-4)
|RAJMA | RED KIDNEY BEANS (COOKED)*||1 AND 1/2 CUP|
|GARAM MASALA||1/4 TSP|
|JEERA POWDER||1/4 TSP|
|RED CHILLI POWDER||1/2 TSP|
|KASOORI METHI||1/4 TSP|
|MILK | CREAM||1/4 CUP|
* I used 2 canned red kidney beans.
- If using the dry rajma, soak it for 10 to 12 hours and cook till 6-7 whistles in a pressure cooker or till it becomes soft. Add salt and bay leaf while cooking. Discard the bay leaf later. Reserve the cooked water.
- If using canned one, drain the excess water and wash it thoroughly.
- Chop the onions very finely. Alternatively you can make the onion into a fine paste too.
- In a pan add the oil and add the bay leaf ( since i used the canned rajma i have added bay leaf now) If using dry one, add bay leaf while cooking itself.
- Throw in the onions and saute for few minutes in a low flame till it turns pink.
- Add the garam masala powder at this stage and saute for few minutes. Adding garam masala at this stage will give a nice flavor to the curry.
- Puree the tomatoes and add it to the onion garam masala mix.
- Add the red chilli powder, coriander powder, jeera powder and coriander powder.
- Mix well and saute well till the raw smell goes off and the gravy oozes out oil.
- Add the red kidney beans to this.
- If you cooked the rajma add the reserved water which u used for cooking else add 1 to 1 and 1/2 cup of water.
- Add the kasoori methi. Check for salt.
- Allow this boil for few minutes and add the milk. I used full cream milk for a creamy texture. You can use cream or evaporated milk too.
- Keep the flame low and cook it for 20 minutes . Stir in between.
- Creamy and finger licking Rajma masala is ready to serve.
- Serve with roti | jeera rice.
- Ginger garlic paste can be added after adding onions.
- Use the best variety of red kidney beans, else it will not get cooked.
Check out these recipes too:
Its in my try list for a long time. Tempting clicks..Must try soon.
Nice pics. Rajma masala is my all time fave, this with rice is a heavenly combo.
Rajma and Chawal is a hot favorite combination at my place..my comfort food!!
I used to make this a lot..but long time now..looks delicious!!!
Rajma sabzi is a very comforting side with fresh hot rice….
whenever i plan to make this, i forget to soak the beans. always happens and a packet is left unopened in my fridge!
lovely one jey ! have to try !
My fav! Who can resist them…
Do participate in my event
yummy rajama sis and have this anytime
healthy n yumm 🙂
delicious and healthy recipe…
Looks delicious…but I also make it very rarely
So tempting recipe, looks yummy.
Wonderfully pictured. Drool. Drool
nicely done and well presented
I havenot tried tinned rajma for this, should try, sounds easy 🙂
One of the fav at home too..looks nice
awesome….luv that cute bowl….
Anu's Healthy Kitchen – Swiss Chard Chana Dal Masala Vada
Such a healthy and traditional dish.. looks perfect.
perfectly done curry…every step is so well explained with clear pics jeyashri
Looks super delicious. We love rajma in out family.
This is my fav anytime…love the deep color of the gravy!
This is My fav one too 🙂
Jey I love the clicks. Almost looks like its out of a restaurant. I am sure your son must have enjoyed!
Looks superb and nice clicks
Nice picks and really tempting.I make it the same way but for the milk/cream, will give it a try next time.
lovely masala curry
I am such a fan of this dish.. Lovely step wise pics..
Is milk essential in this recipe?
Milk gives a creamy texture to this rajma, though u can omit, but i highly recommend to add milk
good one i tried and came out well
Turned out very yummy… Gave to my neighbors as well. Awesome it was….Thank You
Awesome Recipe.I am Vegan how to substitute with milk? Can we put Cashew milk? Thanks,
Yes you can add