Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 20-25 Mins |Serves: 5-7
Small onion | Chinna vengayam 20
Sambar powder 3 tblsp
Tamarind water 4 cups
Sesame oil 2 tblsp + 2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida 1/4 tsp
Venthayam| Methi seeds 1/4 tsp
Toor dal 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
Jaggery 1 tsp
Video of how to make Vengaya Vatha kuzhambu
Method with step by step pictures:
- Soak a big lemon sized tamarind in hot water for 5minutes. Take extract out of this for cups. If using Tamarind paste use 2 tblsp of it.
- Peel the skin of the shallots and wash it and keep it aside. Do not peel the skin in advance. Just do it before making the vatha kuzhambhu.
- In a pan add the sesame oil and throw in the mustard seeds , vendayam , toor dal and curry leaves.
- When the dal turns golden brown add the shallots and fry them on a low flame till it turns brown. Do not burn it.
- Now add the sambar powder to the oil and saute for few seconds.
- Add the tamarind water.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and asafoetida.
- Let this boil in a medium low flame for 15-20 minutes or till it reaches the kuzhambhu consistency.
- Add jaggery to this. This will balance the spiciness of the gravy.
- Switch off the flame and 2 tsp of sesame oil on the top.
- Serve with any curry or kootu. My family loves this vathakuzhambhu with Kootu.
- Frying sambar powder in oil for few seconds will give a nice aroma. If you do not want you can skip it too.
- You can replace shallots with sliced big onions. But taste will differ for sure.
- This kuzhambhu willtaste awesome the next day. a simple roasted papad with vathakuzhambhu and rice is heaven.
- Drumsticks can also be added instead of shallots, for making Vatha kuzhambu.