Semiya Payasam, a popular South Indian kheer| payasam recipe made using milk, vermicelli and sugar. A simple recipe but tastes awesome and it is a must in our household whenever we have guests. Later when condensed milk started coming into the market, my mom used to make semiya payasam using condensed milk and it will take the taste of the payasam to a different level. Even without the addition of the condensed milk the payasam is made by simmering the milk for a long time. In most of the South Indian weddings they serve Semiya payasam. Now a days they serve in disposable cups but during our childhood days, they used to serve in the banana leaf itself. We use our hands to eat the payasam and sometimes smear some fried appalam on it and eat too.
Also check out
Semiya | Vermicelli 1/4 cup
Also check out
Semiya Payasam recipe
- Recipe Cusine: Indian
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook time: 40 Minutes
- Serves: 5-6
- Author: Jeyashri
- Recipe Category: Dessert
- Description: Semiya Payasam, a popular South Indian kheer| payasam recipe made using milk, vermicelli and sugar.
Semiya | Vermicelli 1/4 cup
Milk 5 cups
Ghee 1 tblsp
Cashew nuts 10
Condensed milk 1/2 cup (optional)
Sugar 1/4 cup ( add as per your taste)
Venthayam| Methi seeds 1/4 tsp
Cardamom powder a pinch
Saffron a pinch (optional)
Method with step by step pictures :
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add ghee and fry the cashews till golden brown and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add the vermicelli and roast it till turns into a nice golden brown colour.
- While sauting, stir it in between. Don’t let it burnt.
- Do not add more vermicelli as it will make the payasam too thick.
- Now add the milk in the pan and boil it till the milk reduces to 3/4 th of the quantity.
- Keep stirring in between.
- If you are adding condensed milk add it and give a nice boil.
- Switch off the flame.
- Add sugar to the payasam.
- Add elachi powder and mix well.
- Roast the cashew nuts in ghee.
- Add it to the payasam.
- If adding saffron, soak it in 1 tbsp of warm milk and add it in the last.
- If you are adding condensed milk then reduce the quantity of sugar.
- Don’t cook vermicelli in water and add milk to that.
- Don’t boil the payasam after adding sugar to it.
- If you want raisins you can add them to the payasam in the end by frying them in the ghee.
Kheer tasted great when you gave me when I visited for your noanbu 🙂 Wish I can have another bowl 😉 Pretty presentation!
Nice presentation…looks very creamy n yummy…..Semiya payasam is my anytime fav!
The payasam looks yummy and inviting…You have a surprise in my blog!!:)
Happy Diwali to you!!
wow!!! i'd love this anyday
payasam looks very thick and delicious…nice presentation and click jeya!
Yummy Yummy Payasam .. my all time favourite … Love the click …
my favorite one…. very lovely….
Love that creamy white semiya payasam….easy and tasty one..:)
பாயாசம் பண்ணின கைக்கு 2 பவுன்ல வளையல் பண்ணி போடலாம்…:)
Nice payasam with nice traditional back display….very tempting one!!!! Wish I come to taste it!!!!
lovely… and wot a clarity in the pic…
is tat background from (omabad gajam) nine yards saree
@thakkudu, wating for that.
@sandhya, yes it is the 9 yards saree.
@shobana,come over anytime, ready to serve u
Looks rich and creamy Jeyashri,I always love it,hot in the afternoons cold in the night 😀 ..pics are beautiful!
Looks so delicious and I love this always and pictures are perfect ..beautiful Jeyashri.
looks so yum… always a treat!
Looks very nice and creamy
Very creamy and rich payasam..yumm..
one of my fav,it looks very nice and nicely presented..
my son's fav..nice clicks too. i am drooling here.
All time fav and an easy to make kheer!!!! looks great!!!
oh my!!! this looks so perfect and mouthwatering…drool drool!!
Semiya payasam looks so creamy and rich and yumm….
I love this payasam, Lovley presentation ,inviting pictures.
Semiya payasam is always my favorite. I always ask my mom to make it for all possible occasions 🙂 your version looks super good. Awesome pics 🙂
Delicious payasam jeyashri!! Wish u & ur family happy Diwali!!
Semiya payasam looks great and delicious!
Lovely presentation. Would like to grab the full bowl