Also check out
- Recipe Cusine: Indian
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook time: 40 Minutes
- Serves: 5-6
- Author: Jeyashri
- Recipe Category: Dessert
- Description: Semiya Payasam, a popular South Indian kheer| payasam recipe made using milk, vermicelli and sugar.
Semiya | Vermicelli 1/4 cup
Milk 5 cups
Ghee 1 tblsp
Cashew nuts 10
Condensed milk 1/2 cup (optional)
Sugar 1/4 cup ( add as per your taste)
Venthayam| Methi seeds 1/4 tsp
Cardamom powder a pinch
Saffron a pinch (optional)
Method with step by step pictures :
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add ghee and fry the cashews till golden brown and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add the vermicelli and roast it till turns into a nice golden brown colour.
- While sauting, stir it in between. Don’t let it burnt.
- Do not add more vermicelli as it will make the payasam too thick.
- Now add the milk in the pan and boil it till the milk reduces to 3/4 th of the quantity.
- Keep stirring in between.
- If you are adding condensed milk add it and give a nice boil.
- Switch off the flame.
- Add sugar to the payasam.
- Add elachi powder and mix well.
- Roast the cashew nuts in ghee.
- Add it to the payasam.
- If adding saffron, soak it in 1 tblsp of warm milk and add it in the last.
- If you are adding condensed milk then reduce the quantity of sugar.
- Don’t cook vermicelli in water and add milk to that.
- Don’t boil the payasam after adding sugar to it.
- If you want raisins you can add it to the payasam in the end by frying it in the ghee.