Thattai is a deep fried crispy South Indian snack, recipe with step by step pictures and video, made using rice flour as a main ingredient. We make this during Krishna Jayanthi and Diwali. I also make it during the school holidays as my kids love it a lot. I had not attempted making this for a long time. When I first tried it two months back, the outcome was very disappointing. However, my supreme love for
Thattais dissuaded me from giving up and I ended up asking my maternal aunt,who is an expert in making snacks for a fail-proof method of making crispy thattais.
I was super happy with the results and this made me confidently feel that I can make
good thattais. I have also tried a spicier version of the same Milagu Thattai recipe which we all loved.
If you want to try the Karnataka version of thattai do check out my Nippatu recipe.
Preparation Time : 30 mins | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Makes: 23- 25 thattais
Rice Flour 4 cups ( i used a small cup which holds a liquid measure of 50 ml)
Urad dal flour 1/4 cup
Roasted gram flour 3/4 cup
Red chili powder 1-2 tsp
Sesame seeds 1 tbslp
Channa dal 2 tblsp
Butter 2 tblsp
Asafoetida 2 pinches
Salt as needed
Curry leaves few
Oil for deep frying
Video of thattai recipe
- Sieve the rice flour, urad dal flour (roast and grind urad dal), roasted gram(chutney dal/dalia/pottukadalai) in a sieve for even mixing.
- Soak the channa dal in water for 30 minutes. Drain the water and add to the flour.
- If making urad dal flour at home, dry roast the urad dhal and powder it finely.
- I used the urad dhal flour which i get here.
- Mix the rice flour, urad dhal flour and the roasted gram flour together.
- Add the curry leaves, salt, butter, red chilli powder sesame seeds.
- Mix it well.
- Knead it into a dough adding enough water.
- The dough should be firm not watery.
- Grease a zip lock cover with oil.
- Take a lemon sized dough and place on the cover.
- Place another greased cover on it and use a flat bottomed bowl.
- Press it on the top with the bowl. This is to ensure even shapes. You can pat it with your fingers too.
- Transfer it to a clean dry towel and keep it for 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the oil for frying.
- Prick the thattai with fork and slowly drop them in the oil. Pricking help the thattai to avoid raising while frying.
- When the oil is hot, keep the flame in medium.
- Drop the thattai into oil .
- Fry both sides, till the sizzling sound of the oil subsides.
- Take it out and drain in a kitchen towel.
- Store it in a air tight container.
- Enjoy thattai with hot tea.
- The kneaded dough can be kept in the fridge and u can take it in batches and make thattai
- This is to avoid the thattai getting reddish colour before getting cooked.
- You can soak and grind pepper and red chilli and add to the dough instead of adding red chilli powder.
- Peanuts an also be added to the dough.
- While drying them on the towel, do not dry for more time, else they will end up cracking on sides..
- Ensure the thattais are thin, else it won’t get cooked in the middle.