Preparation Time : 15 mins + standing time 1 hour| Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 2-3
Yam 250 gms
Sambar powder 1 tblsp
Thick tamarind extract 2 tblsp
Salt as needed
Asafoetida 2 pinches
Oil 2 tblsp
Curry leaves few
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Cut the yam into thin slices,by removing the thick skin and put this in water. You can use the potato slicer too.
- Add salt,turmeric powder and asfoedita(hing) to it and boil for 5 mins. Check to it ,it should not be overcooked. the pieces should be firm after boiling it.
- Once it is done,drain the excess water and allow the yam slices to dry completely.
- Ensure that it should not contain any water.You can even pat the slices with kitchen towels.
- Add sambhar powder to it. Take a thick extract from presoaked tamarind.Add to the yam slices and mix well to get a nice coating of the mixture with the yam.
- Keep it in the fridge for 1 –2 hours. Normally i make this for a weekday lunch,so i do it the previous night and keep in the fridge.
- Heat a tawa and add a tblsp of oil and spread the yam slices in that. When it is done on oneside flip over on the otherside. Repeat this for the rest of the slices.
- Transfer to serving bowl and add curry leaves to it. Serve as an accompaniment for simple Tomato Rasam.