Ulli theeyal is a popular Kerala gravy | South Indian gravy for rice, made with shallots(chinna vengayam) and coconut as the main ingredients and other flavourful spices. I am a big fan of vengaya vathal kuzhambhu, so i wanted to try this for a long time. Few months back one of my friend’s mom while casually talking told me the recipe of ulli theeyal and i recorded the same in my mobile. I got a good bunch of small onion during my little india trip and finally made this ulli theeyal. It was a huge hit among all in the family. Try this at home and share your feedback with me.
Preparation Time : 20 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Ulli | shallots | chinna vengayam 25
Coconut 1/2 cup
Dhaniya | coriander seeds 1 tblsp
Red chili 3
Red chili powder 1-2 tsp
Tamarind a small gooseberry size
Salt as needed
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Methi seeds| venthayam 1/4 tsp
Coconut oil 1 tblsp
Curry leaves few
- In a pan add little coconut oil and add the grated coconut, coriander seeds and red chili.
- Fry this in a medium low flame till the coconut becomes nice golden brown in colour.
- Keep this aside.
- Slice the onions lengthwise. In the same pan add half of the onions and start cooking this.
- Add little oil while cooking and cook the onions till nice golden brown.
- Take it out from the pan and allow the onions to cool completely .
- Grind this along with the coconut mixture into a smooth paste. Add little water if needed while grinding.
- In a pan add 2 tsp of oil and add the mustard seeds, red chili and venthayam.
- Add the other half of the sliced onions and cook till the onions becomes translucent.
- Add the ground paste to this and add 1/2 cup of water.
- Take 1 cup of thin tamarind extract from the tamarind and add it to the pan.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and asafoetida.
- Mix well and cook for 10 minutes in a medium flame.
- The gravy should come to a thick kuzhambhu consistency.
- Switch off the flame. Ulli theeyal is ready to serve.
- Enjoy this with hot rice. We had with beetroot curry and kerala papadoms.
- Instead of adding coriander seeds while roasting you can add coriander powder while adding red chili powder.
- 1 tsp of urad dal can be added while roasting .