Vathakuzhambhu is a usual one which i normally make with shallots, drumsticks or any othe rveggie. But this is the first time i am making with beetroot as one of my friend told that beetroot vathakuzhambhu is a popular one at her place. After i started making vathakuzhambhu with beetroot it has become a popular one at my house too. Go ahead and try this one and will like it for sure.
INGREDIENTS: (SERVES 4-5)
|BEETROOT (CHOPPED)||1/4 CUP|
|TAMARIND EXTRACT||4 CUPS|
|SAMBAR POWDER||4 TSP|
|SESAME OIL||2 TBLSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/2 TSP|
|FENUGREEK SEEDS(Vendhayam)||1/8 TSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||1/4 TSP|
- Soak the goose berry sized tamarind in hot water and extract 4 cups of tamarind water.
- In a pan add oil and temper with mustard seeds , fenugreek seeds, toor dal ,red chillis and curry leaves.
- When the dal turn golden brown add the beet root and saute for few minutes.
- Now add tamarind water,sambar powder,turmeric powder,salt and asafoetida.
- allow this to boil till it reaches a thick gravy consistency.
- The beetroot will also get cooked by this time.
- Add few curry leaves and smear a tsp of sesame oil on the top.
- Normally we add little jaggery to this kuzhambhu, but since beetroot has sweetness no need to add it.
- We had with Beans paruppu usili.
- You can make this vathakuzhambhu with any veggies of your choice.
- Some people add sambar powder in the oil and saute for a minute and add the tamarind water.
So new to me, sounds great. Will try some time.
so yummy n new verison cool.
Wow my favorite…I love vathakulambu….I will try this…
Never heard about this one.Very interesting and will try it.
this is new .. Sounds interesting…
Beetroot vathkuzhambu is new to me. Look nice.
Wow…Never used Beets in karakuzhambu…Looks tempting…Will do Try…
My Small MIL used to do this Jeyashri.. when she told me I tried and we loved it…. The sweetness from beets and tanginess from tamarind works…I am way too tempted now.
One more thing is even beets sambar tastes so good…
I'll die for this all time… Yummy…
Bookmarked…DEFINITELY GOING TO TRY THIS REAL SOON!!!Happy new year to you…
that is a new combination to me!!! have never thought aboout adding beetroot in a vathal kuzhambu….
Ongoing Event – SYF&HWS – Ginger
new variety of kolambhu with beetroot…looks appealing
Beetroot in vathakozhambu is for sure new and looks tasty 🙂
Delicious and inviting dear .
Ongoing events:Fast Food – Poha .
Know your dairy – Milk Events
in my blog.
interesting combo… never heard about the combo… looks so drooling…
Rose flavored Kaju Milk Roll
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA
ah i remember this 🙂 looks gorgeous!
such a unique kulambhu.. looks colorful..
Vathakuzhambu using beetroot sure sounds interesting…Looks very tempting Jeyashri.
Never have tried this.. 2mrw I plan to do vathakulambu and didn't have small onions..was wondering.. Perfect one to try.. will let you know.
Wat an interesting and super creative vatha kuzhambu, loving this unusual twist to vatha kuzhambu.
nice and healthy substitute…nice clicks..
"Healthy Recipe Substitution" HRS EVENT Dec 20th to Mar 20th
SYF&HWS – Cook With SPICES" Series
South Indian Cooking
Very new, bookmarked this..
awesome new dish… yumy!
first time here.yummy kuzhambu.happy to follow you.wil both be frndz?
Vathakulambu is my fav. but addition of beetroot is new. Love to eat it anytime.
This is very new to me. Must be very tasty & healthy too. I tried ur tomato onion chutney and posted in my blog. It was very nice. Thanks dear 🙂
gonna try tomorrow..thanks sis..
very interesting curry..
kulambhu looks so pretty. and tempting
First time in ur space 🙂 Very New Recipe and nice thought !!!
I tried, it turned good
Tried it today. Came out very well. Added rice flour n water for thickness.
Will try for sure. Thank you 🙂