Vathakuzhambhu is a usual one which i normally make with shallots, drumsticks or any othe rveggie. But this is the first time i am making with beetroot as one of my friend told that beetroot vathakuzhambhu is a popular one at her place. After i started making vathakuzhambhu with beetroot it has become a popular one at my house too. Go ahead and try this one and will like it for sure.
INGREDIENTS: (SERVES 4-5)
|BEETROOT (CHOPPED)||1/4 CUP|
|TAMARIND EXTRACT||4 CUPS|
|SAMBAR POWDER||4 TSP|
|SESAME OIL||2 TBLSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/2 TSP|
|FENUGREEK SEEDS(Vendhayam)||1/8 TSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||1/4 TSP|
- Soak the goose berry sized tamarind in hot water and extract 4 cups of tamarind water.
- In a pan add oil and temper with mustard seeds , fenugreek seeds, toor dal ,red chillis and curry leaves.
- When the dal turn golden brown add the beet root and saute for few minutes.
- Now add tamarind water,sambar powder,turmeric powder,salt and asafoetida.
- allow this to boil till it reaches a thick gravy consistency.
- The beetroot will also get cooked by this time.
- Add few curry leaves and smear a tsp of sesame oil on the top.
- Normally we add little jaggery to this kuzhambhu, but since beetroot has sweetness no need to add it.
- We had with Beans paruppu usili.
- You can make this vathakuzhambhu with any veggies of your choice.
- Some people add sambar powder in the oil and saute for a minute and add the tamarind water.